Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant: Shitty fucking dangerous drivers
Rant: Shitty fucking dangerous drivers
I had a wonderful weekend camping with my son this weekend. That is, except for the incident that occurred Saturday afternoon on US Highway 101. The driver of a car crosser the center line into the path of an oncoming motorcycle. At a combined impact velocity of a hundred miles per hour, the accident resulted in the motorcyclist and his passenger pronounced dead at the scene. One of the occupants of the car was taken by helicopter to the nearest trauma center. I don't know if they were the driver or a passenger, or if they survived.

My son and I came upon the scene moments after it occurred. I'm thankful that for once, he listened when I told him to close his eyes. Of course, my problem is nothing compared to the two people are who have families who will have to learn to adjust to life without them.

I hope the person airlifted from the scene survived and makes a full recovery. I hope that if it was the driver, that he never gets behind the wheel ever again.

/rant
RE: Rant: Shitty fucking dangerous drivers
Hopefully your son will remember about it when he'll begin driving. Imo showing graphic materials of vehicle accidents should be mandatory on every driver's education class.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(May 6, 2013 at 12:41 am)wwjs Wrote: Hopefully your son will remember about it when he'll begin driving. Imo showing graphic materials of vehicle accidents should be mandatory on every driver's education class.

Yeah. I agree with the sentiment, though the reality is that its not something I think an 11year old needs to be burdened with.

The remainder of the afternoon was spent answering a lot of hard questions. "Dad, why were there so many police cars? Why were the ambulances just sitting there?"
Quote: At a combined impact velocity of a hundred miles per hour

Opposing velocity vectors aren't additive like that. Two people going at 50 mph toward each other will experience a crash of 50 mph. This is proven by thinking of two situations:

1) two cars crashing at 50 mph
2) a car crashing into a sturdy wall at 50 mph

Both will result in that car being stationary after the crash. In the case of the wall, it means the wall supplied a force equal, but opposite, to the car's force, leaving it stationary. The wall wasn't moving though. Therefore, in the first example, the second car is acting like a stationary wall, thus meaning that the experienced force is that of 50 mph.

/physics

You're lucky you don't live in Australia. On a daily basis I see shocking drivers...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(May 6, 2013 at 12:47 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Yeah. I agree with the sentiment, though the reality is that its not something I think an 11year old needs to be burdened with.
It's not, but it happened. Now you can use this "opportunity" to teach him (I'm not saying that you didn't before) that safety should be treated seriously and when it's not, people usually die or get hurt. Wearing helmet while riding a bike, buckling up in back seat, driving "defensively" etc. All of that matters.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

A 19 year old slammed into a fence this morning just little down the road from here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 6, 2013 at 12:58 am)FallentoReason Wrote:

Opposing velocity vectors aren't additive like that. Two people going at 50 mph toward each other will experience a crash of 50 mph. This is proven by thinking of two situations:

Both will result in that car being stationary after the crash. In the case of the wall, it means the wall supplied a force equal, but opposite, to the car's force, leaving it stationary. The wall wasn't moving though. Therefore, in the first example, the second car is acting like a stationary wall, thus meaning that the experienced force is that of 50 mph.

/physics

You're lucky you don't live in Australia. On a daily basis I see shocking drivers...
Good explanation, I also raised an eyebrow on that part lol you can't add velocities like that, it doesn't work. Although two cars crashing will be like a car hitting a sturdy wall provided that the cars have equal mass I'm sure.
Yeah, lots of un-kudoses to dangerous drivers!

Reminds me of when dad took me for a ride on his bike, I was terrified! Not because he's a bad driver, quite the opposite actually, but southern Swedes can't drive for shit. Even though this makes me a horrific sexist, it's because Sweden loves to take gender (or any kind of) 'equality' to the extreme. Moms, who aren't too good behind the wheel themselves, teach the next generation of drivers and so forth. This results in motorists with absolute shit skills and reflexes. It's scary as shit driving there.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 6, 2013 at 12:58 am)FallentoReason Wrote:

/physics

You're better off hitting a parked car than hitting the same car coming at you at 50mph. There's a lot more total energy to be absorbed.
(May 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm)John V Wrote:
(May 6, 2013 at 12:58 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Opposing velocity vectors aren't additive like that. Two people going at 50 mph toward each other will experience a crash of 50 mph. This is proven by thinking of two situations:

/physics

You're better off hitting a parked car than hitting the same car coming at you at 50mph. There's a lot more total energy to be absorbed.

The comparison was with a wall, not another car. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The dangerous fallacy of "You can do it." Brian37 52 2695 September 7, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  TH FUCKING SNIFFLES! Rhizomorph13 4 430 March 9, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Anal Intercourse is a Dangerous Hobby Agnostico 153 8326 February 16, 2020 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  Of JW's and cab drivers. Brian37 23 1320 January 26, 2020 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why I'm so fucking angry GUBU 8 896 November 17, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 745 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I fucking quit... Jackalope 311 31985 October 8, 2018 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I love this place, you fucking punks J a c k 22 1606 October 5, 2018 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10337 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Thread Title Mashup: She Keeps Sucking Something Shitty From The Poster Below Me Whateverist 277 21861 December 1, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37