Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ephesians 6:5-6
Ephesians 6:5-6
Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; (NASB: Lockman)

I am in agreement with thee lack of condemnation of slavery in general of the bible. I have one year formal degree in bible studies,and my father with a Masters in Theology teaching me at home on biblical studies. I can tell you from an educated stand point that slavery is not condemned outwardly in the New Testament. Let me share with you what I found out.

Slave here in greek is "Doulos" 1.) a slave, bondman, man of servile conditiona slave 2.)"metaph.", one who gives himself up to another's will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men 3.)devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests 4.) a servant, attendant.

So with Doulos defined we see here that is can mean the slaves I described to you. . However, the typical roman slave trade was also people either captured or born into slavery so I do apologize on my limited scope of the Roman slave trade. Back to Doulos, the context can mean bond servants, to typical slaves.Here the context is more the general meaning not really pin-pointing a specific group. So yes in Ephesians the author is referring to typical slaves as well as bond servants.

The term Kurios is the greek word for master. Definition is 1.)He whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has the power of deciding. The full definition will continue to states "owner, sovereign. I believe you get the idea. Now in the context of this, it is true this is talking about your master. So regardless of the morality of slavery (which it is wrong in my opinion), not all masters or leaders of servants were cruel.

Then you have Phobos greek word for fear. Meaning 1.)dread,terror, one that strikes terror. In this context however it means respect. Before you think of that parroted response, it is respect because he (kurios) can kill you. That kind of fear is the context in this phrase. In the next greek word you will see why.

Trembling, Tromos is the greek word for this. Which the definition means 1.)a trembling or quaking with fear. 2.)with fear and trembling, used to describe the anxiety of one who distrusts his ability completely to meet all requirements, but religiously does his utmost to fulfil his duty. So with this word with Phobos before it. It gives a rather negative context in reference to fearing your master.

So with other words meaning "sincerity" I think we can review this verse in its proper context. If we read verses before and after, we notice that the author is writing about the way Christians should act toward one another. So in short this verse is not a metaphor but to be taken literal. Now it comes to the conclusion, does this mean the author condoned slavery, it is not really clear his personal opinion on slavery. However, we know he did not condemn it. I believe after my research I find it tyrannical and rather negative to serve such a God. So while my point about slaves and bonds servants is true. You are right this verse shows the contradictory nature of God.

Now in conclusion of why did the New Testament not speak out against slavery. It is because it was written by man. At this time Christianity was fragile, not only in its following, but also politically. Much like Thomas Jefferson's and George Washington's view on slavery, it was not the right time. As in modern terms would have been political suicide and caused either retribution from the Roman government or Jewish Authority. I agree Scott, and I hope this information is helpful as it was eye opening to myself. (greek source http://www.preceptaustin.org/ephesians_65-6.htm)

(This was a facebook post, so forgive as it does seem to be a reply to someone else.)
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Ephesians 6:5-6
Quote:Now in conclusion of why did the New Testament not speak out against slavery. It is because it was written by man.

All this shit is written by men.
I thought to give a decent bible study towards the bible. As alot can be learned from a mere study of the verbiage.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
(May 6, 2013 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Now in conclusion of why did the New Testament not speak out against slavery. It is because it was written by man.

All this shit is written by men.
Not just that shit, but im pretty sure everything thats ever been written that we know about has been written by man
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
(May 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: ...
Now in conclusion of why did the New Testament not speak out against slavery. It is because it was written by man. At this time Christianity was fragile, not only in its following, but also politically. Much like Thomas Jefferson's and George Washington's view on slavery, it was not the right time. As in modern terms would have been political suicide and caused either retribution from the Roman government or Jewish Authority. I agree Scott, and I hope this information is helpful as it was eye opening to myself. (greek source http://www.preceptaustin.org/ephesians_65-6.htm)

The simpler explanation is Christianity could never have gotten anywhere despite is claims of an appeal to the poor and downtrodden if it had not appealed to the middle and upper classes. Those people were slave owners. Of course that kind of answer implies there was any kind of morality involved with Christianity.

It was and largely still is a doomsday cult. It had no morality save preparation for the end. When is the end? Real Soon!

Anti-slavery is anti-christian. Slavery is Christian.

The idea that they were not ready for such a radical idea assumes it was an optional idea or a possibility. Fact is it simply did not exist, period.
Quote:Not just that shit, but im pretty sure everything thats ever been written that we know about has been written by man

Everything else is not even disputed by them. It is only the Big Book of Fables which far too many insist was written by ( or "inspired" by) their sky-daddy.
(May 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm)Sarcasm Wrote:
(May 6, 2013 at 9:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: All this shit is written by men.
Not just that shit, but im pretty sure everything thats ever been written that we know about has been written by man

The pen was in the hands of man, the mind of man was in the hands of God.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 7, 2013 at 1:36 am)Godschild Wrote:
(May 6, 2013 at 10:43 pm)Sarcasm Wrote: Not just that shit, but im pretty sure everything thats ever been written that we know about has been written by man

The pen was in the hands of man, the mind of man was in the hands of God.

You do know we expect such silly platitudes from you, right?

If that were the case you would think somewhere in the books there would be a statement to that effect, would you not?

Would not such a statement be best placed in the fantasies of Eden, the flood, Exodus, biblical Israel, David, Solomon and the like so as to absolve the author of responsibility for writing nonsense? Does you god have no regard for the personal reputation of those whose brains he is fondling?
Quote:The pen was in the hands of man, the mind of man was in the hands of God.

Evidence or is this just more of your blithering bullshit?
(May 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: Ephesians 6:5 Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; (NASB: Lockman)

I am in agreement with thee lack of condemnation of slavery in general of the bible. I have one year formal degree in bible studies,and my father with a Masters in Theology teaching me at home on biblical studies. I can tell you from an educated stand point that slavery is not condemned outwardly in the New Testament. Let me share with you what I found out.

Slave here in greek is "Doulos" 1.) a slave, bondman, man of servile conditiona slave 2.)"metaph.", one who gives himself up to another's will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men 3.)devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests 4.) a servant, attendant.

So with Doulos defined we see here that is can mean the slaves I described to you. . However, the typical roman slave trade was also people either captured or born into slavery so I do apologize on my limited scope of the Roman slave trade. Back to Doulos, the context can mean bond servants, to typical slaves.Here the context is more the general meaning not really pin-pointing a specific group. So yes in Ephesians the author is referring to typical slaves as well as bond servants.

The term Kurios is the greek word for master. Definition is 1.)He whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has the power of deciding. The full definition will continue to states "owner, sovereign. I believe you get the idea. Now in the context of this, it is true this is talking about your master. So regardless of the morality of slavery (which it is wrong in my opinion), not all masters or leaders of servants were cruel.

Then you have Phobos greek word for fear. Meaning 1.)dread,terror, one that strikes terror. In this context however it means respect. Before you think of that parroted response, it is respect because he (kurios) can kill you. That kind of fear is the context in this phrase. In the next greek word you will see why.

Trembling, Tromos is the greek word for this. Which the definition means 1.)a trembling or quaking with fear. 2.)with fear and trembling, used to describe the anxiety of one who distrusts his ability completely to meet all requirements, but religiously does his utmost to fulfil his duty. So with this word with Phobos before it. It gives a rather negative context in reference to fearing your master.

So with other words meaning "sincerity" I think we can review this verse in its proper context. If we read verses before and after, we notice that the author is writing about the way Christians should act toward one another. So in short this verse is not a metaphor but to be taken literal. Now it comes to the conclusion, does this mean the author condoned slavery, it is not really clear his personal opinion on slavery. However, we know he did not condemn it. I believe after my research I find it tyrannical and rather negative to serve such a God. So while my point about slaves and bonds servants is true. You are right this verse shows the contradictory nature of God.

(This was a facebook post, so forgive as it does seem to be a reply to someone else.)

-OR-
Maybe Slavery was simply not considered a sin, at any point by God. What was considered sinful was how slaves were treated.