Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking in tongues?
Speaking in tongues?
Hey guys, so recently before my conclusion that there is no god I watched a video on the news regarding the practice of speaking in tongues. To summarize the video, a neurologist scanned the brain activity of individuals during a normal conversation and compared it to a person who was speaking in tongues. The result was that, as most of us may know, during normal conversation the frontal cortex lit up like the fourth of July. Whereas, during the practice of speaking in tongues almost no brain activity was shown, not even in the frontal cortex (If you don't know, that is where the language center of the brain is). The video seemed to push the conclusion that speaking in tongues must ABSOLUTELY come from a higher being who ,as described by the people who speak in tongues, is speaking through them.

Now i'm sitting here thinking, "Ok, no brain activity when speaking in tongues... that kinda tells me that it truly is nothing more than mindless babble." I'm not a neurologist though, can anyone come up with some conclusions from this other than a higher being speaking through their mouth?

Also, if the only conclusion you can come to is a higher power and you simply assume that I have no idea what I'm talking about, then please be informed that I did speak in tongues as a christian and I still conclude it is nothing but mindless babble, so please keep the "you don't understand" arguments out... because I do understand, from experience. Thanks.
I used to pray... but then I realized I could talk to myself and save 10% too. Who wouldn't go for that?ROFLOL
RE: Speaking in tongues?
It does not surprise me that the veritable absence of something would seem to be proof of something to a religious nutter. As far as speaking in tongues is concerned, it is mere babble.

Of all the languages we have on this planet, all of them can be understood with study. Speaking in tongues is not language if it cannot be understood except by an individual within the vicinity who translates it. If it was a true language, it would always be consistently the same from one individual to the next rather than completely different each time. The excuse it is a holy tongue is a mere scapegoat for the fact that it is mere babble, because I sincerely doubt that the language of the supernatural is so complex that it is constantly shifting to something else entirely each time the supernatural being wishes to convey a message.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Bullshitters doing what they do best. Bullshitting!
This one is easy. It doesn't light up the language centers because it is not language. It takes virtually no brain power to make inarticulate sounds. These people are charlatans. They are not crazy or disturbed. They are thieves or are helping thieves. They know exactly what they are doing and should be prosecuted for it.
(May 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm)Shell B Wrote: This one is easy. It doesn't light up the language centers because it is not language. It takes virtually no brain power to make inarticulate sounds. These people are charlatans. They are not crazy or disturbed. They are thieves or are helping thieves. They know exactly what they are doing and should be prosecuted for it.

Yeah, that one seemed kind of obvious. And anyone who's heard folks speaking in tongues should recognize that it's just gibberish. Nearly every human being "speaks in tongues" at one point in his or her life. That point is called INFANCY.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm)Tonus Wrote: Nearly every human being "speaks in tongues" at one point in his or her life. That point is called INFANCY.

That, or being extremely drunk Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Fuck, I do it when I am sleeping. Give me money.
I think the language of that study needs to be changed to:

"...when studying the brain patterns of the religious, we find no brain activity...at all. Ever."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
F fotqiok;hGFL>k etHLKJU teeeaollKk,klo eGRWTSIl; 1@!!!
(May 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: F fotqiok;hGFL>k etHLKJU teeeaollKk,klo eGRWTSIl; 1@!!!

I for one am convinced.

Angel