Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
content question
content question
Are not pictures worth a thousand words around here?

Do political cartoons carry no thought?

Or is it merely a value judgement on the quality of my efforts?
RE: content question
[Image: whats-what.png]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
A picture is useless when dealing with complex issues. Political cartoons are often colored by bias. I don't base my opinion on sad pictures. I base them on raw facts. THe problem with the Israel/Palestine issue you like to present is that everyone has chosen a side, so it makes finding an unbiased source a daunting task. THis is not an issue where pictures are going to shape my opinion.
(May 8, 2013 at 6:19 pm)Gearbreak Wrote: A picture is useless when dealing with complex issues. Political cartoons are often colored by bias. I don't base my opinion on sad pictures. I base them on raw facts. THe problem with the Israel/Palestine issue you like to present is that everyone has chosen a side, so it makes finding an unbiased source a daunting task. THis is not an issue where pictures are going to shape my opinion.

I have no problem with Israel/Palestine issue. Sort of fun actually. But anything negatives about Israel (as though there were anything positive) leads to a response claiming it is NOT NICE to criticize Judaism. Is not this a place for atheists?
Probably because most of the world views them as more than a religion. THey do have mutual culture traditions and history that they share, so I'm not going to argue. It's like calling yourself swedish or german in my opinion.
Well, as an artist, I like to think that some things are better conveyed by pictures than words.
(May 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Gearbreak Wrote: Probably because most of the world views them as more than a religion. THey do have mutual culture traditions and history that they share, so I'm not going to argue. It's like calling yourself swedish or german in my opinion.

The world is wrong. The "jewish people" is a 19th c. political invention. I was saying it for years before an impeccably Jewish and Israeli historian at Tel Aviv U published the definitive work on the subject.
The Invention of the Jewish People [Paperback] Shlomo Sand (Author), Yael Lotan (Translator)
Give it a read.

They share no common culture unless you believe Moroccan Jews eat German potato pancakes and do Russian circles dances while singing Hava Negilah to the tune of Irving Berlin. Hint: They don't.

There is no common history as all west of Egypt and all Eastern European Jews were converts. See the above book for further details.

I am reminded of the movie, The Jerk. He kept saying he was a n

when it was legal for a white to say the word. That was part of the joke. Self-declaration of being a Jew if not for comic effect is merely pathetic.

For the record the Orthodox Jews of the believing kind do not consider believing Conservative or Reform Jews to be Jews. With that kind of dissension in the ranks it sort of boggles the mind that anyone would take seriously self-declaration as the only criteria. Can I get a beanie and become a Jew by self-declaration? Even Sammy Davis Jr. had to join the hard way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8691 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17262 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Today's Questionable Content Eilonnwy 0 1119 June 26, 2009 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy