Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win7 Product keys
Win7 Product keys
What to do when you have re-installed Windows 7 on your sons laptop with your own installation DVD as his didn't come with one, but with his own product key and then a couple of months later the laptop starts complaining that the product key (the one actually printed on the label on the back of his laptop) is no longer valid!! Thinking
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Win7 Product keys
(May 11, 2013 at 3:51 am)Darwinian Wrote: What to do when you have re-installed Windows 7 on your sons laptop with your own installation DVD as his didn't come with one, but with his own product key and then a couple of months later the laptop starts complaining that the product key (the one actually printed on the label on the back of his laptop) is no longer valid!! Thinking

This has happened to me a couple of times. This can be resolved by activating Windows 7 by telephone (instead of online activation). Follow these steps:

1) Right-click on "My Computer" on the Windows Desktop.
2) Click on the "Properties" option.
3) Click on "Change product key".
4) Enter the product key printed on the laptop label, then click next.
5) Activate Windows 7 by choosing the "Use the automated phone system" option, and simply follow the steps required to activate by telephone.

I am pretty sure that this will work for you. Wink
Thanks, I shall give that a go...
Are you sure it's the same version of Windows 7? There are many different types (Home, Ultimate, etc) and they have different keys.
Pretty sure.. Just the standard Home Premium that comes with most stuff.
I will only speak of this in the presence of my lawyer Angel

And I believe OEM versions (such as come pre-installed) are different from keys for the retail version of the product. (And large OEMs like Dell receive their own sequence of keys, which may or may not work with other OEM products.) I've found getting support from MS relatively pleasant, though I'm sure experiences differ. Go to their support system and open up a case.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I have Windows 7 on my laptop.

When I reinstalled, I downloaded Windows 7 Home SP2 from Wind River Systems, as I didn't want to download SP2 all over again.

Little did I know that my laptops product key was Windows 7 Home Original release specific.

Microsoft can suck cocks for their idiocy.

I used Windows Loader to bypass their bullshit as I had a legitimate product key that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the freely downloadable Service Pack did not apply to.

Idiots in Redmond.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Yeah, it sucks. OEM key? Need OEM media. Retail key? Need retail media. Volume licensing key? Ad nauseum - even for the same freaking product level. Work hooked me up with legal volume licensing keys and media for Professional and Enterprise, which also eliminates all of the retail / OEM activation bullshit.

If I had a real choice, I'd prefer to not use their shit at all on general principle.
I'm thinking of just installing Linux on it as all he uses it for is the internet and doing his homework. All the games he plays he plays on my main P.C., his steam folder on my HD is 117GB and growing Undecided