Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gnostic v. Agnostic
Gnostic v. Agnostic
Many of us (including myself) use the terms "agnostic" as "gnostic" almost like adjectives. I call myself an agnostic atheist. But is that really how those words are used? "Gnostic" isn't even a word in that sense, it just means someone who follows the religion of Gnosticism.

Another question: most theists are gnostic, and that's a different road. But how can atheists be gnostic? I know a gnostic atheist recently joined, maybe he could respond in this thread. Nobody can know with 100% certainty that there is no God, but that's exactly what being gnostic (in our definition of the word) means.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Gnostic v. Agnostic
A/an- a morpheme (prefix in this case) meaning without or not. The root of the word, gnost would mean knowledge (-ic forms adjectives, so it's approrpriate that we use them, 'almost' like adjectives). It may have been like the -gruntle- in dis-gruntle-d, a bound root morpheme, or it may not have been. I'm not entirely sure how people have been using the word gnostic throughout history (though it definitely ALSO refers to that wiped out religion), only that people, perhaps working from agnostic, are using it to mean with knowledge.

If it was only recently coined, then so what, that's how english works, and 'opposite of agnostic atheist' sounds so silly, especially when a/an- already means 'without/not'

Linguistics penguin AWAAAAYYYYYY
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(May 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Many of us (including myself) use the terms "agnostic" as "gnostic" almost like adjectives. I call myself an agnostic atheist. But is that really how those words are used? "Gnostic" isn't even a word in that sense, it just means someone who follows the religion of Gnosticism.

Another question: most theists are gnostic, and that's a different road. But how can atheists be gnostic? I know a gnostic atheist recently joined, maybe he could respond in this thread. Nobody can know with 100% certainty that there is no God, but that's exactly what being gnostic (in our definition of the word) means.

The Gnostics were some early also-ran versions of Christianity that lost out to the Byzantine version. Generally they held there was secret knowledge to be told only to advanced Christians. The Byzantine cult held that everyone was told everything.

The two terms do have opposite meanings but they are not opposites in the sense of black and white, true or false. The word comes from the Greek for knowledge thus secret knowledge. Agnostic simply means do not know if.
(May 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Nobody can know with 100% certainty that there is no God.
Why not? Whats so challenging about the concept of a god?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yup, depends on which god, agnostic atheist regarding deistic gods, gnostic atheist in terms of Yahweh the Malevolent.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(May 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(May 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Nobody can know with 100% certainty that there is no God.
Why not? Whats so challenging about the concept of a god?

The only way we will know 100% there is no god is when we die. Until then, it's just highly improbable.

(May 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
(May 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Why not? Whats so challenging about the concept of a god?

The only way we will know 100% there is no god is when we die. Until then, it's just highly improbable.

Why would we know then, if we cant know now. I don't understand? What is it about death that somehow enhances our ability to accumulate knowledge.......

It seems kind of the opposite...from where I stand.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I call myself an agnostic atheist. But is that really how those words are used? "Gnostic" isn't even a word in that sense, it just means someone who follows the religion of Gnosticism.
The term 'agnosticism' was created by Thomas Huxley because the early Christian church used the Greek word 'gnosis' to describe spiritual knowledge. It was never meant in reference to the Gnostic movement.

However, as the Gnostics died out, the word 'gnostic' started being used as the opposite of 'agnostic'; that is, someone who knows (or claims to know) that God exists.
(May 12, 2013 at 1:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(May 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: The only way we will know 100% there is no god is when we die. Until then, it's just highly improbable.

Why would we know then, if we cant know now. I don't understand? What is it about death that somehow enhances our ability to accumulate knowledge.......

It seems kind of the opposite...from where I stand.

Because if there is an afterlife, I think we'll notice.

(May 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Because if there is an afterlife, I think we'll notice.

Oh, so granting one very specific vision of the supernatural...and perhaps not realizing that an afterlife is not interchangeable with a god...and presuming you woke up in it one day...you would just jump to god?

Forgive me for being so bold, but I'd be willing to bet that granting an afterlife, you'd still require exactly what you would require here for "knowing" whether or not there was a god. Whether that's nothing (in the case of the faithful) or something (in the case of the skeptic). Even further, if you know here that you cannot absoltuely trust your experience what would change that scenario then? Is the spirit mind more reliable? What removes the barrier to knowledge that exists here, supposing you found yourself there? If you were capable of knowing there, why not here?

I'm not grilling you, not earnestly, because I realize that some of this is just meh for you. Just trying to highlight all of the oddness in this conjecture.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ignosticism, Theism, or Gnostic Atheism vulcanlogician 55 4141 February 1, 2022 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: emjay
  A former agnostic, with doubts? Madness20 37 8546 September 17, 2014 at 2:52 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Agnostic Theists? rexbeccarox 16 6053 December 12, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Are you Agnostic? British_Atheist 19 5524 June 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious