Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?
Shocked 
Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?
I don't know if I'm in the good section but I will say what I need to say.
All my life I had only a goal (real goal) who was to go in heaven.
Now I realised that there are maybe no afterlife.
All begin there are some years (between three and six I can't remember) I saw that there are things who are similar to Christianity in Pagan religions. I don't analysed these things because I thought something like that (FR : C'est faux EN : This is false). Some years after this event I did researches about the Bible and I saw that the Bible is a selection of text.
I read a translation of the Bible in French and I didn't saw contradictions or mistakes (except the Genesis but for me it was a story to explain the sin and others things of this kind).
When I read the old testament I thought a thing of this kind (FR : pourquoi dieu demande de tuer tous ces gens ? EN : Why god ask to kill all these people ?).
After I thought that this is the god's plan therefore that is logic because this is a divine punition (logic a strange word for that).
When I finalised to read the two testaments I was satisfy because I read the Bible and the majority of Christians and non-christians inhabitant in the western world never read this book or rather this library.
Later I saw that there are contradictions and mistakes with the official history in the old and the new testament.

Conclusion : There are maybe an explication to confirm Christianity but I suppose that find an explication for all these things is very complex and probably that this explication doesn't exist.
I didn't give many details in my text because this is already long.
If you want to know more contact me.
RE: Deconversion , bad thing or good thing ?
(May 13, 2013 at 2:34 pm)viocjit Wrote: All my life I had only a goal (real goal) who was to go in heaven.
Now I realised that there are maybe no afterlife.

You know, though it might as a believer be hard to come to terms with thoughts like this, don't fret too much about it. The only thing you can be certain of is that you live here and now, so why not make the most out of your life according to your wants or needs?
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

"The only constant is change." [Image: w20.png]~ Heraclitus [Image: w50.png]"All is Maya." [Image: w20.png] ~ traditional

[Image: D7612546_714_923523568]

()

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Most believers that I have known have lived their lives as if it's the only one they have, even as they extol the virtues of "the next life." I think that, like you, they are hoping for another shot but are not really convinced that it's there.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
What is it that you are saying ?
Update : I saw many documents about Atheism and Christianity.
I must see dozens of documents and after I will choice between Atheism and Christianity.

I can say that Atheism is probably the truth but if I make the bad choice I will have the pleasure to know hell (ironic ton).
Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?
(June 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm)viocjit Wrote: Update : I saw many documents about Atheism and Christianity.
I must see dozens of documents and after I will choice between Atheism and Christianity.

I can say that Atheism is probably the truth but if I make the bad choice I will have the pleasure to know hell (ironic ton).
Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?

Are you asking for people to try to convince you one way or the other? While I'm sure that people will try, I think that is a personal journey. Also Hell shouldn't be the biggest factor in your question of belief. Do you really want to believe in a God that will punish people eternally for finite sins?
As for the old testament, it is mostly Hebrew mythology. Why is any mythology invented? It helps explain something the people don't understand. It helps to give people a moral code.
Quote:Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_...6ywyJr0CMC

As good a place to start as any.
(June 8, 2013 at 3:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Anybody have information who can explain how the OT was invented and why ?

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_...6ywyJr0CMC

As good a place to start as any.

Thanks for the link.

Finkelstein, et al made a series of videos based on the book, in four parts, all available on Youtube as "The Bible Unearthed" parts 1-4.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1380 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4496 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5405 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4574 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1705 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1724 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 4012 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4762 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1168 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 7995 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel