Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Left Islam And Became An Atheist
Why I Left Islam And Became An Atheist
I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia. One of the strictest and most religious countries in the world. Studying quran and the hadiths ("a saying or an act or tacit approval or disapproval […] ascribed to the Islamic prophet") is mandatory in all levels in school. Any thing that conflicts with islam or may raise questions about creationism, is not taught, and not allowed to be published, except that these ideas and beliefs are wrong. Information on the internet that relates to evolution, atheism or any religion other than islam is most likely blocked.

My family is pretty strict too. My mom volunteers in a quranic school, which is a school that specializes in teaching the quran and hadiths, nothing else. Adult females in my family cover everything when they go out, even their hands, which is not required, but is recommended in our belief. I once stopped listening to music, because I didn't want a boiling metal to be poured into my ears. And I once broke up with the one I love because it's a sin. I thought I was doing good for both of us, by reducing the chances of us going to hell. When I was 14 years old, I once grabbed my 12 years old sister's head, and smashed it on a door, because she refused to cover her face when we went out. She was only covering her head. I thought, I am not a man if a female in my family wasn't covering herself up.

I've been fortunate to study in a new British-affiliated university that uses the exact same books published and studied in Britain. One of the books I've read talks about evolution as a scientifically-approved theory. I was fascinated about the idea, and confused at the same time. Why haven't I heard about this theory before? I tried then to read more about evolution. The more I read, the more I believed in it, and the more confused I became. I was trying to fit this idea together with the ideas I've been told during the past. I tried really hard. But I just couldn't.

This has ignited a dead region in my brain. The region that was active when I was born, but was instructed later on to turn off. I started to fundamentally question my beliefs. Why am I a muslim? Would I be a muslim if my parents were jewish or if I was born in a christian family? Why do we think islam is the correct religion? Are we smarter than non-muslims? Why did god create a little kid and then instructed a prophet (Al Khidr) to kill that kid? Why did god choose Arabs? Aren't we all the product of his creation? What's the destiny of the isolated tribes[1] living somewhere on this planet, and who simply don't know about religion? Heaven? Or hell? The more I read and think, the more belief I lose. Until finally confronting myself with the reality: I was brainwashed.

When I first realized I no longer believe in god, I was so scared. I kept praying after ignoring his existence, five times a day. I was thinking, maybe he'd forgive me if I was wrong. I was finally able to let go, after two months of emotional torture. It's a scary feeling to let go of the beliefs you've kept holding to for more than 20 years.

I'm sure most religious people, especially those who's been raised by religious parents or in a religious community, didn't question their beliefs either. As the most fundamental questions are usually asked during childhood, and they're answered with some nonsense that is taken for granted later on. I just hope we realize that we are all human beings, coming from the same source, sharing the same resources, and that religion is destroying humanity, by ingraining hate into our minds. I've hurt my sister once because of this. I apologize to her, and I apologize for any hate I've kept during the past towards Jews, Shiaa-mulsims and any other human being.

I decided to publish my story hoping that it would open the mind of someone, someday.

[1]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZtpDODjK44
RE: Why I Left Islam And Became An Atheist
(May 16, 2013 at 3:58 pm)mota Wrote: One of the books I've read talks about evolution as a scientifically-approved theory. I was fascinated about the idea, and confused at the same time. Why haven't I heard about this theory before? I tried then to read more about evolution. The more I read, the more I believed in it, and the more confused I became. I was trying to fit this idea together with the ideas I've been told during the past. I tried really hard. But I just couldn't.
So I gather that in Saudi Arabia (and, possibly, all the muslim theocracies around that area) schools don't teach science?
What do you guys learn in school?
Read (the kuran)?
Do simple math (for comerce)?
Handle guns?
Confused Fall
They teach that their fucking god did everything....which is what fundie xtians consider the good old days and would love to turn our educational system back to something like it....only substituting fucking jesus for fucking allah.
(May 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm)pocaracas Wrote: So I gather that in Saudi Arabia (and, possibly, all the muslim theocracies around that area) schools don't teach science?
What do you guys learn in school?
Read (the kuran)?
Do simple math (for comerce)?
Handle guns?
Confused Fall

Not sure about other countries, but we do learn math, physics and science in general. But when it comes to nature or the universe, what Minimalist's said is pretty much it.
(May 16, 2013 at 5:04 pm)mota Wrote: Not sure about other countries, but we do learn math, physics and science in general. But when it comes to nature or the universe, what Minimalist's said is pretty much it.
You learn physics and science, but not nature and the universe...

Meaning(?)
You learn projectiles, pendulums.... plate tectonics? Volcanoes? water cycle?
But nothing even remotely close to general relativity, nor biology...?
(May 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm)pocaracas Wrote: You learn physics and science, but not nature and the universe...

Meaning(?)
You learn projectiles, pendulums.... plate tectonics? Volcanoes? water cycle?
But nothing even remotely close to general relativity, nor biology...?

I'd love to list all the subjects I've studied for more than 10 years, unfortunately, I don't have have the time. I'm sure you can find all the information you need about the education here on the web. Perhaps starting with wikipedia.
Some interesting reading in there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_i..._proposals

But they don't mention the absence of big-bang theory....
I haven't seen any mention to the subjects taught. But I can assure you, I wasn't exposed to evolution, the big bang, nor relativity. I tried to look for a website that has a list of the subjects taught here, but I didn't find one. So if you have a question about specific subjects, I'll be more than glad to give you the information you need.

I've found a much more interesting publication about the education here: Saudi Arabia's Curriculum of Intolerance (PDF). But the reader should know that the government has been working on a reform in education during the past few years, so the information in the document may not be relevant anymore.
Quote:the reader should know that the government has been working on a reform in education

Sadly, that usually makes things worse.
About the Educational system of Saudia Arabia.
I would like to say ironically : ممتاز (Excellent)

An educational system based on the religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ex-muslim and the truth about islam Methamphetamine 9 942 August 21, 2023 at 11:19 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  How I Became An Atheist Shuffle 15 4442 August 19, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  how to change from islam to atheist thanzi 21 4119 February 4, 2015 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Nope
  Left religion seeking superior secular spirituality NathanHawks 0 1010 January 12, 2015 at 6:32 am
Last Post: NathanHawks
  How I Became an Atheist hockeymonk 5 2567 March 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  islam, homosexuality, wars and atheism apostopare 4 2138 August 25, 2012 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  How I became atheist Doubting Thomas 9 5257 April 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  How I became a non-believer SleepingDemon 7 2688 April 18, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  How i became an atheist Nicky 9 3387 October 31, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  God Became a Mirage Edward 48 19571 April 2, 2009 at 6:24 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki