Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The path to truth, stop the delusion!
The path to truth, stop the delusion!
If you're a Christian you should read this and then take your own route to learning the facts and is a basic pathway most atheists take in determining that The Bible and its claims are false. The questions are things I think every Christian should ask just as I did.

If some of the information that is out there is so wrong, why do so many organizations/websites/people say it?

Winston Churchill once observed that a lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. The idea behind this is that for someone to make up a claim, and for others to repeat it is very easy, while to compile the evidence and careful argument to show it is wrong is very difficult. So, as long as there are people who want to mislead you, there will likely always be more misinformation than honest information.

Why should I believe The Bible?

When people claiming to be experts argue about something that you have limited expertise about, it can be hard to figure out who to believe. Here are a few suggestions.

[1] Notice who is responding to arguments by their opponents, and who is not.

Even if you don't understand every point being made, you can usually tell when someone directly challenges their opponents' key points. Similarly, you can tell when someone seems to be completely ignoring questions from the other side. Almost always, the side that responds to challenges is telling the truth, while the side that just repeats themselves and talks around the argument is not.

[2] Ask tough questions.

Anyone who does not let you ask questions may realize that they do not have any legitimate answers to offer. Anyone who is really interested in the facts will not only accept questions, but will even present the best arguments against their position and respond to them.

[3] Look for the most obviously invalid arguments.

If a natural and rational cause is possible then obvious invalid argument is the one that puts the cause as a supernatural one, which the existence of the supernatural doesn't have any tangible evidence.

[4] Do not be swayed by the sheer volume of misleading information.

It is much harder to produce correct information. Incorrect or bad information can just be made up, off the top of your head. Good information takes research, and careful reasoning and presentation. There will always be more bad information than good. So you have to learn to identify what is good, and not let the sheer volume of bad information confuse your judgment. Governments and other powerful and reputable organizations sometimes provide bad information. (If you read the news, you probably know that). Ultimately you have to sort out the truth.

Hope this provokes some thought. Good luck!
I used to pray... but then I realized I could talk to myself and save 10% too. Who wouldn't go for that?ROFLOL
RE: The path to truth, stop the delusion!
For someone who who prizes himself as an asker of questions your thread is rather disappointing. I think a more accurate screen name for you would be the "The answer-er of questions no one asked." Smile Welcome to AF.
Re: RE: The path to truth, stop the delusion!
(May 22, 2013 at 2:26 am)That guy who asked questions Wrote: the existence of the supernatural doesn't have any tangible evidence.

Haha class Big Grin

Apart from that gaff,

The post applies to atheists as well of course.
My eyes has been OOPENED! Thanks you guy what axed questiuns!
(May 22, 2013 at 7:51 am)Drich Wrote: For someone who who prizes himself as an asker of questions your thread is rather disappointing. I think a more accurate screen name for you would be the "The answer-er of questions no one asked." Smile Welcome to AF.

uhm, not sure if you realized, but these are questions that I asked Undecided making a pointless remark to my screen-name on a thread regarding religion just seems kind of... well, pointless. I find your comment disappointing. This thread's purpose was stated at the top if you didn't realize. "The questions are things I think every christian should ask." None of the sentences following each question was an answer to the question, they were advice on how to determine the truth yourself, which was kind of the topic as implied by the title of the thread, "The path to truth, stop the delusion."

(May 22, 2013 at 8:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(May 22, 2013 at 2:26 am)That guy who asked questions Wrote: the existence of the supernatural doesn't have any tangible evidence.

Haha class Big Grin

Apart from that gaff,

The post applies to atheists as well of course.

Do you disagree and of course it does. The post applies to anyone who is attempting find the facts, not just in a religious debate but in any debate. For instance it could be used to determine facts about smokeless tobacco vs. smoked tobacco. It's a universal pathway, I just modified it to use in a religious debate to help those who want to find the facts find them and be confident in their conclusions.
I used to pray... but then I realized I could talk to myself and save 10% too. Who wouldn't go for that?ROFLOL
Don't stress it TGWAQ. It is by asking questions that upset the cognitive dissonance of the die-hard theists and no amount of dialogue will change their minds.

As to your OP, your observations are valid but will not help those "rusted-on" dependants of theism.

Keep asking questions...... How else are you going to find anything out?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
..but you didn't ask any questions, you made rhetorical statements in question form..

You only said that questions should be asked and then went on to provide the answers for questions that were never asked. Which is the reason I gave you a new name.
(May 22, 2013 at 7:51 am)Drich Wrote: For someone who who prizes himself as an asker of questions your thread is rather disappointing. I think a more accurate screen name for you would be the "The answer-er of questions no one asked." Smile Welcome to AF.

That's because Drippy never asks questions. He just clutches his fucking bible tighter and tighter and pretends he has all the answers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Way, the Truth, and the Ugly LinuxGal 0 390 October 1, 2023 at 11:45 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Stop Asking Me to Go to Church with You Rhondazvous 27 2775 May 13, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The truth of Christianity's source pgardner2358 3 756 June 9, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The truth of Atheism Drich 94 18516 February 17, 2018 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  This Has to Stop Astonished 354 56258 October 5, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 5876 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pope tries to stop Rolling Stones from playing in Cuba zebo-the-fat 15 3396 March 30, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2202 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The 10 Most Ridiculous Beliefs in the Christian Delusion Mudhammam 78 16672 December 22, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Challenge: Name Even 10 Beliefs in the Christian Delusion which are NOT Ridiculous Whateverist 33 5268 December 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus