Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Newton wrong?
Was Newton wrong?
Often you get on a forum and some people are claiming that Einstein proved Newton wrong. Well, not exactly. Einstein Field Equations reduces to Newton's law of gravity at low gravity and low velocity. I've made the calculations available. So any time you get to meet those people, you can refer to it.

Is Newtonian Gravitational Fields Valid Within General Relativity?
RE: Was Newton wrong?
About some things, yes he was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newto...lt_studies

Big Grin
I guess alchemy and religion is always going to be a bad mix. But poor Isaac, who often gets a bad rap, his status needs to revived. His great contribution of putting physics on the map is often overshadowed by Einstein proving him wrong, when in reality, his Law of Gravity still stands for our everyday world.
To commemorate Newton, we should have t-shirts showing:

Rμν = (8πG/c^4)[Tμν – ½Tgμν] → ∇^2φ = 4πGρ
This was very wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(platform)

Quote:The Newton platform is a personal digital assistant developed by Apple Inc.. Development of the Newton platform started in 1987 and officially ended on February 27, 1998. Some electronic engineering and the manufacture of Apple's Newton devices was done by Motorola. Most Newton devices were based on the ARM 610 RISC processor and all featured handwriting recognition software. Most Newton devices were developed and marketed by Apple (this includes the whole MessagePad line and the eMate 300), but other companies — Motorola, Sharp, and Digital Ocean — also released devices that ran the Newton OS.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: This was very wrong.

I think the correct words would be "ahead of its time".
Just like the Sinclair C5?
Angel
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 29, 2013 at 4:34 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(May 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: This was very wrong.

I think the correct words would be "ahead of its time".
The Newton was "ahead of its time" like a 2014 Model T with no gas tank would be. Most Apple products are catchups. They used to have a great product (30 years ago). The problem is that they had the "apocryphal Gates" mentality. They claimed that if you obeyed the entire set of books when you wrote software (the books took up a whole shelf in my bookcase), they'd "never" break your software. Then, not so long later, they switched CPUs and broke everyone's software. Modem7 still runs under Windows 8. (I still wish that MS just folded up and let the world Linuxify.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please do correct me if I am getting this wrong. Brian37 6 867 July 8, 2022 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Did Hubble can it wrong? little_monkey 24 3779 November 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life magizines "Greatest scientific thinker of our time" franca 6 5887 October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Galileo was wrong, the Church was right Entropist 27 10732 September 18, 2010 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Zen Badger