Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Deconversion
My Deconversion
I deconverted from Christianity by accident really.

About 14 years ago I got into an argument with another Christian. I was raised Southern Baptist so I was raised to believe in once saved always saved. The impossiblity of apostacy. The surety of the believer.

The person I was arguing with was from another sect of Christianity which believed in falling from grace.

This troubled me, because, well hell, I didn't want to burn for an eternity. We both argued our case and backed them up with verses from the bible that supported both views. Faced with rock solid evidence that the bible was contradictory I decided to use my "god given" intellect to figure it out.

As those years went by I visited many countries, including muslim countries.

I started to think, what if someone was born in a small town in Saudi Arabia (which is 99% muslim), was raised to believe that, was a really good, decent person that grew up with his family members and friends to believe in Allah, lived a good life, and died? Well according to what I was raised to believe he was going to burn forever.

That started to not make any sense to me. How could a loving god set up reality like that? That guy didn't have a chance.

Come to think of it, if god loved us, why hell in the first place? No one forced him to set it up like that. It's fucking God. He could set it up any way he would want to. So why would a loving god do that? I wouldn't do that. I'd just blip them out of existence or something. That's way more loving than hell.

Was I more loving than god?

It took me years. But finally I slapped myself on the head and said to myself, this is all made up bullshit. It's fucking obvious.

I used to literally shake in fear at night back when I was 6 and 7 in terror of going to hell.

I don't fear hell at all anymore. Actually I'm convinced that if hell does exist, it's going to be full of Christians and Muslims. Heaven's going to have a crap load of atheists and buddhists partying down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1363 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4382 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5280 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4497 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1684 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1699 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3891 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4675 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1157 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 7889 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel