Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My decontamination
My decontamination
As I said in my introduction, I was born and raised a catholic. To add fuel to my catholic upbringing, my mother was from Madrid, Spain. As a youngster, I would question things like, why are those priests more "holy" than us? Eventually, when I came to confirmation, I broke with the church. I did not believe that another human being could absolve my sins. This is where I started to realize the idiosyncrasies of the church.

My first book into questioning religion was Bertrand Russell's "Why I am Not a Christian". This book combined with the experience that will follow lead me to question the existence of a deity.

My mother was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis in 2009. Watching my mother suffer with this disease, which inevitably robbed her of her ability to breathe, forced my confrontation with religious ideals. It was this excruciating trial of watching my mother's suffering that lead me to question the existence of a benevolent, loving god. There is no torture that mother did nor anything that she did in her life that made her deserve this disease. Admittedly, I did try to pray for a miraculous healing, yet nothing ever eased her suffering. My mother died in 2010 after struggling with this monstrosity.

The struggle that my mother endured combined with my struggling faith, showed me that a benevolent, merciful god cannot exist.
RE: My decontamination
Welcome from another ex-Catholic here.

Sorry to hear about your mother.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Condolences on your mother's passing. Sad
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. There's nothing quite like watching someone you love slowly suffocate to death by natural causes to confirm there's nobody up there, is there?