Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depressive Realism
Depressive Realism
I recently heard that depressed people view themselves in realistic terms and people who aren't depressed view themselves in unrealistic positive terms. I was intrigued so I looked to see if there was any truth to it, and seems like there have been some studies that currently seem to confirm this hypothesis.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-total...ive-vortex

Thoughts?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Depressive Realism
One of the reasons it is so hard to get out of depression... is that the depressed have difficulty lying positively to themselves. That is the very realistic part of depression. The very negative part, on the other hand, is that the depressed often begin to believe their self-worth extremely low... unrealistically low.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I think the reason why people who aren't depressed see themselves in a light that is more positive then reality is because it is what is "ideal" to them and seeing themselves in that situation serves to encourage them to achieve it. Makes sense? lol

It is an interesting article, btw, I must say. I originally thought it was going to be long because the page is insanely lengthy but it turns out... 5% article and 95% comments o.o
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Sounds like me.
I reckon I'm kinda like that too. Self-motivation? Smile
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Sounds depressingly true to me Smile
(September 17, 2009 at 11:08 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: I recently heard that depressed people view themselves in realistic terms and people who aren't depressed view themselves in unrealistic positive terms. I was intrigued so I looked to see if there was any truth to it, and seems like there have been some studies that currently seem to confirm this hypothesis.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-total...ive-vortex

Thoughts?

I recently had to take a test for a health class I'm in that told me how pessimistic or optimistic I was. I'm not depressed and I was extremely optimistic. How can someone not see themselves in a positive light? If I thought something negative about myself I'd change that to something positive.
Dlf,

I think that prooves that you know how to defeat tests. Tongue j/k I don't really know you. I imagine that you are probably much different than you read. I can only imagine how people view me by the stuff I type up. I'd like to think that who I am encompasses my online persona but I have to admit the freedom of anonymity probably skews my expression outside of what is my normal behavior. Tits ass fucking shitstain! Sorry, finger touretts.

Rhizo
LOL @ Rhiz Smile

Does finger tourettes invalidate the forum rules? Damn if only Kyu worked that one out Big Grin
Finger tourettes...? Do I even want to know? Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day