Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:01 pm

Poll: How often (if at all) would you consume Soylent?
This poll is closed.
Frequently
10.00%
1 10.00%
Occasionaly
30.00%
3 30.00%
Never.
60.00%
6 60.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soylent (Food Substitute)
Soylent (Food Substitute)
I for one think this is absolutely incredible, an emerging food source that's healthy, convenient, inexpensive, and far better than eating Ramen, skipping meals, or consuming something that does not have the equivalent nutritional value your body needs to maintain itself. This substitute; tailored to each individual’s lifestyle and body type, removes the unnecessary waste and provides you with the nutrients your body needs for everyday life and a few other beneficial ingredients. Nevertheless, I think it requires supplementary testing over a prolonged period of time, there is far more to learn about nutrition and how various types of food affect the human body.

Here is what the Soylent Corporation says about it and I have provided a link to the website. I'd like to hear your opinions on this, they should be interesting.

Soylent Corporation Wrote:What if you never had to worry about food again? For many people, on many occasions, food is a hassle, especially when trying to eat well. Suppose we had a default meal that was the nutritional equivalent of water: cheap, healthy, convenient and ubiquitous. Soylent will be personalized for different body types and customizable based on individual goals. It allows one to enjoy the health benefits of a well balanced diet with less effort and cost.

For anyone who struggles with allergies, heartburn, acid reflux or digestion, has trouble controlling weight or cholesterol, or simply doesn't have the means to eat well, soylent is for you.

Soylent frees you from the time and money spent shopping, cooking and cleaning, puts you in excellent health, and vastly reduces your environmental impact by eliminating much of the waste and harm coming from agriculture, livestock, and food-related trash.

There are problems with the current state of food. 50% of the food produced globally is wasted, and food makes for the largest component of municipal garbage. If not for this waste there would be plenty of food to adequately nourish everyone alive. 2 million people are killed annually by smoke inhalation from indoor cooking stoves alone. 70% of americans are overweight or obese. 1 in 7 people globally are malnourished, and 1 in 3 in the developing world suffer from deficiency. Countless others are living hand-to-mouth, subsistence farming, hindering economic development. Even in the developed world, agriculture is the most dangerous industry to work in by occupational injuries and illnesses, and obesity is on the rise.

By taking years to spoil, dramatically reducing cost, and easing transportation and storage, soylent could have a dramatic effect on hunger and malnutrition. Proceeds from the purchase of soylent enable us to work with aid partners and reduce hunger and environmental impact both in the United States and the developing world.

Think about what the future of food looks like. Imagine everyone having a customized, efficient, nutritious default diet and the freedom to eat for leisure as desired. It is a bright, healthy future indeed.

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body
At times of chaos, humans are subjected to emotion, rather than logic.
RE: Soylent (Food Substitute)
[Image: Soylent-Green-lg.gif]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm too much of a fooderer (*) to go for that shit. Oh, and I like my people au naturel - long pork FTW.

(*) I hate the term 'foodie'.
Yeah - the ultimate wet dream for rich corporate cocksuckers. They live in protected enclaves while the poor

[Image: Soylent%2BRiot.jpg]

are swept up in garbage trucks.

The imagery is powerful for libertarian cunts like the Koch brothers!
Is it possible for anyone to take this seriously? Actually consider the possibility for a moment?
At times of chaos, humans are subjected to emotion, rather than logic.
(June 26, 2013 at 7:34 pm)Glitch Wrote: Is it possible for anyone to take this seriously? Actually consider the possibility for a moment?

I did, despite my flippant response.

The answer is no.
Um, I'm not really comfortable eating something called a food "substitute." When you eat something, it should be actual food.
They have a message board.

http://discourse.soylent.me/
Is this what the cocooned humans were fed in The Matrix?

I prefer Brawno, The Thirst Mutilator....its got electrolytes.

Seriously, more power to you if you can find a sustained market for this. I have serious doubts about this given people's fondness of eating for art, pleasure, entertainment and sport. I would would perhaps give it a taste test, but wouldn't consider it an occaisional meal supplement, let alone my primary source of nutrition, until independent tests are conducted by nutritional experts.

The proposed benefits listed are dubious. I understand the argumentative appeal for many of the claims, but the scale required to achieve any of this makes the assertions come off as a cheap marketing gimmick similar to how televangelists promise untold reward for sowing a $1000 love gift. For example, claiming that Soylent will help minimize the adverse environmental impact of traditional farming is almost laughable considering the number of people that would have to consume Soylent as their primary nutrition to have a noticeable effect. Theoretically sound, perhaps, but untenable. This of course doesn't consider the unforeseen environmental impacts of such a massive production of Soylent.
[Image: soylent.jpg]

It's people!
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.