Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ammunition for Christians
Ammunition for Christians
A lot of my Christian friends are using this page to spread their ideas and what not. I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me could give insight to these posts.

https://www.facebook.com/1mill.creationist
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
RE: Ammunition for Christians
it's all bullshit. But i'll take this one on:

Quote:CHINESE MEANING OF NOAH

In Chinese, the name Noah means: "man through whom the weed curse is removed". We can assume that the weed was the wicked man that was killed in the flood. Chinese writing would go back to a time not long after the flood when memories of Noah and the flood were still vivid in the minds of the people. This gives more credence to Noah being a real figure in history rather than myth that man today has claimed.

As a chinese native speaker. No. Just no. As in they completely dreamed this up.

Quote: i like the cross that is in there as well
That's the top comment. What arrogance. If you can't read chinese, say you can't read chinese, don't see a cross in the character and think it's a tribute to your god. Chinese were traditionally buddhists. These people really think the entire world gives a shit about christianity.
Geez, that's ridiculous. Didn't see that one on there. That's one thing that I hated about Christians these days. They just take everything they hear at face value, and believe it. If only they'd look at actual science the same way.
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote:YOU ARE UNIQUE..

Innately found in the DNA structure of each and every individual, fingerprints are formed in the early embryonic stage with the infinite knowledge and might of the Creator. No two fingerprints have ever been found to be identical in every detail, despite billions of comparisons. This miracle alludes to the omnipotence and omniscience of God.

Fingerprints are never exactly alike, but unique for each individual, except identical twins. To achieve this requires the infinite knowledge of the One Who distinguishes the fingerprints of all the living and dead, as well as those who are to be born. The fingerprints of identical twins are identical because the same egg has been inseminated by the same sperm and has then split into two, and thus the two babies have exactly the same DNA structure.

Gonna debunk this as well cos ppl bring up fingerprints and identical twins so often. They do NOT have identical fingerprints. This should give you an idea of how bullshit this page is.

They have similar fingerprints. fingerprints formation is influenced by the shape of your finger pads and the stresses you experience in utero. Identical twins have identical shapes, but of course the stress cannot be uniform. Fingerprints are therefore unique.

No clue what the hell this has to do with whether or not god exists.
I hate to waste ammunition but shooting creatards does not seem like a waste.
Quote:PRE-FLOOD CONDITIONS WERE IDEAL FOR LIFE ON EARTH..

It allowed for animals, trees, and people to grow much bigger than today. The 5 conditions of the pre-flood environment:

1. Twice the oxygen
2. Vegetarian diet
3. Canopy in place of the ozone layer
4. Twice the magnetic field.
5. Double the atmospheric pressure

To test this theory, Carl Baugh of the Creation Evidence Museum, raised piranahas in a sealed tank to re-create the 5 pre-flood conditions.They only ate plants. The piranahs grew 4 times their normal size.
LOL some of these are hilarious. Try living somewhere with that condition XD. If the world was ever in that condition, that would mean we have evolved. Because trust me if you stay the way you are right now and go somewhere with twice the oxygen and double the atmospheric pressure, something very interesting will happen.

And this is so outrageous i looked it up but apparently he never published a paper on piranhas and also a well known fake that works for some creation museum.
Quote:1. Twice the oxygen

Would have had some great brush fires, though!
(June 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm)InevitableCheese Wrote: Geez, that's ridiculous. Didn't see that one on there. That's one thing that I hated about Christians these days. They just take everything they hear at face value, and believe it. If only they'd look at actual science the same way.

I would prefer that no one take the science at face value. That is not what science is about. I prefer that people take the time to learn how science works and then take the time to comb through the actual evidence.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(June 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(June 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm)InevitableCheese Wrote: Geez, that's ridiculous. Didn't see that one on there. That's one thing that I hated about Christians these days. They just take everything they hear at face value, and believe it. If only they'd look at actual science the same way.

I would prefer that no one take the science at face value. That is not what science is about. I prefer that people take the time to learn how science works and then take the time to comb through the actual evidence.

Agreed. Unfortunately, so much is going on in science that it'll take too much time for any one person to know everything in detail completely. Even scientists are only fluent within their own field. But if you understand how science works, with some basic knowledge, interpreting results and evidence that science churns out shouldn't be too hard. Critical thinking is key when it comes to new research.

Especially for things like, research shows people who _______, live longer, the first reaction should always be: what experiment was it, who did they conduct it on, what's their sample size, and then keep in mind that correlation =/= causation.

Most importantly, something which the pseudoscience movement has never grasped, is that there is a difference between textbook science and frontier science. Research that hasn't made it into the textbooks are generally speculative because it needs to be repeated many times over before it's prudent to take it as fact.
[quote='pineapplebunnybounce' pid='470386' dateline='1372537869']
it's all bullshit. But i'll take this one on:

Quote:CHINESE MEANING OF NOAH

In Chinese, the name Noah means: "man through whom the weed curse is removed". We can assume that the weed was the wicked man that was killed in the flood. Chinese writing would go back to a time not long after the flood when memories of Noah and the flood were still vivid in the minds of the people. This gives more credence to Noah being a real figure in history rather than myth that man today has claimed.

"Not long after the flood" I wonder how long it took for Noah's descendants to breed, migrate to Asia and evolve into Chinese from Semitic origins.
Totally ignoring the fact that Chinese history predates the supposed date of the flood and completely failed to notice it happening,
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.