Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If magic was real...?
If magic was real...?
So this is purely hypothetical but if magic was real, how would it effect your views? I'm talking shooting lightning bolts out of fingers and making shit levitate kinda magic.

So to my fellow atheists, would observation of something supernatural (though not necessarily tied to religion) change any of your views in regards to atheism?

And for the religious folk here, would observation of something supernatural (though not tied to your specific belief) change your views in regards to your belief?
RE: If magic was real...?
Magician's on stage make magic look real. How is one to determine the difference between smokes and mirrors and real magic?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Not really, because 'magic' wouldn't necessarily have to come from a god.

And I'd probably still treat it with scientific study.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(June 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: And for the religious folk here, would observation of something supernatural (though not tied to your specific belief) change your views in regards to your belief?

Maybe.

Anyways, I don't believe in magic. I believe in miracles. Tongue
(June 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(June 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: And for the religious folk here, would observation of something supernatural (though not tied to your specific belief) change your views in regards to your belief?

Maybe.

Anyways, I don't believe in magic. I believe in miracles. Tongue

But can you tell me how magnets work? Thinking
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(June 29, 2013 at 9:35 pm)plaincents822 Wrote: So this is purely hypothetical but if magic was real, how would it effect your views? I'm talking shooting lightning bolts out of fingers and making shit levitate kinda magic.

So to my fellow atheists, would observation of something supernatural (though not necessarily tied to religion) change any of your views in regards to atheism?

And for the religious folk here, would observation of something supernatural (though not tied to your specific belief) change your views in regards to your belief?

observing something supernatural this is how everything is observed until you know how it works, so you're basically asking me if I saw something and didn't know how it worked would it effect my belief in something? No because I've seen documentaries of tribes people worshiping Kelloggs cereal boxes when they first encountered western society, I know it's a bad idea to start worshiping on a basis of a lack of understanding something.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(June 29, 2013 at 10:04 pm)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: But can you tell me how magnets work? Thinking

Damn, I think that's a really hard one to answer. It is still a mystery to the world how magnets actually work. :S

Many different theories on this, but no one knows which of them is correct.

Quote:I know it's a bad idea to start worshiping on a basis of a lack of understanding something.

Never stopped a jesus freak.
subject it to scientific study, understand it, master it, become a magician. In that order.
Whether or not there is magic is not directly related to whether or not there is a god, so no. I would be like Buffy, believing in the shit I experienced in real life and still skeptical of a God or gods.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Rep Introduces Bill to Recognize Magic AFTT47 9 2142 March 16, 2016 at 1:41 am
Last Post: MTL