Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little astronomy video I created
A little astronomy video I created
I stayed up all night working on a new video, but it is a culmination of many years of work, so I hope you will like.

Awaken To Astronomy

This is a film of moderate length (19:23 minutes) celebrating astronomy. All of the photos are mine, except the last one, which was captured from the movie Melancholia. In addition, there is a short video of a corona mass ejection. Have patience with it (I know it is a bit long - what Yes song isn't?), and you won't be disappointed, but you may be mesmerized. I've tried to give the stars the feeling of motion, hopefully without being chincy. There are some cool effects that will wow you, especially the final star sequence (with Vega changing colors). Put it on the big screen, and crank it up! Enjoy...

Produced, directed, and edited by me (orogenicman), so I take all the blame.

Music - Awaken, by Yes

This video is dedicated to Angel

'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: A little astronomy video I created
Thanks.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(July 15, 2013 at 11:20 am)orogenicman Wrote: I stayed up all night working on a new video, but it is a culmination of many years of work, so I hope you will like.

Awaken To Astronomy

This is a film of moderate length (19:23 minutes) celebrating astronomy. All of the photos are mine, except the last one, which was captured from the movie Melancholia. In addition, there is a short video of a corona mass ejection. Have patience with it (I know it is a bit long - what Yes song isn't?), and you won't be disappointed, but you may be mesmerized. I've tried to give the stars the feeling of motion, hopefully without being chincy. There are some cool effects that will wow you, especially the final star sequence (with Vega changing colors). Put it on the big screen, and crank it up! Enjoy...

Produced, directed, and edited by me (orogenicman), so I take all the blame.

Music - Awaken, by Yes

This video is dedicated to Angel

Nicely done!
Thanks.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I only had time to watch the first three minutes, but nicely done.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's just as well. I've improved it quite a bit, and will be posting the new and improved version in less than an hour. Stay tuned, and do watch the entire thing. The ending star sequence is very much worth the wait.

Here is the newest version, which I think is a big improvement. It has a lot more images, and I made a lot of other improvements as well. I know it is long. If you can't watch the whole thing, at least watch it from about 12:00 minutes to the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5yEbnJE...e=youtu.be

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(July 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm)orogenicman Wrote: It's just as well. I've improved it quite a bit, and will be posting the new and improved version in less than an hour. Stay tuned, and do watch the entire thing. The ending star sequence is very much worth the wait.

Here is the newest version, which I think is a big improvement. It has a lot more images, and I made a lot of other improvements as well. I know it is long. If you can't watch the whole thing, at least watch it from about 12:00 minutes to the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5yEbnJE...e=youtu.be

You could probably do better not starting it with the words "My God".

Just a suggestion.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Since you brought it up, here is my latest version:

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(August 13, 2013 at 4:41 am)orogenicman Wrote: Since you brought it up, here is my latest version:

That was awesome but, I have a question, what is that which looks like a space monster regurgitating a partially eaten planet.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 13, 2013 at 10:05 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 13, 2013 at 4:41 am)orogenicman Wrote: Since you brought it up, here is my latest version:

That was awesome but, I have a question, what is that which looks like a space monster regurgitating a partially eaten planet.

Smile GC

Thanks. I have no idea what you are talking about.

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2396 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  I only know a little BrokenQuill92 1 755 October 9, 2016 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Can Matter be Created or Destroyed? Rhondazvous 52 9676 December 12, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  For Orogenicman: Best Astronomy Images 2012 thesummerqueen 1 1656 December 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Astronomy Picture Of The Day orogenicman 0 923 December 15, 2011 at 2:38 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  This is one of the best astronomy videos I've seen in a long time orogenicman 6 3564 April 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious