Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burka Avenger
Burka Avenger
I stumbled across this today...

Quote:Female cartoon superhero Burka Avenger is set to debut on Pakistani television next month. The country's answer to Wonder Woman and Supergirl uses books and pens against bad guys trying to shut the girls' school where she works. She is already making waves, as BBC Urdu's Saba Eitizaz reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23468573

I think it's fantastic that there are people in Pakistan that are sending out the message that it's okay for girls to get educated, but I got a good chuckle out of it, too.

The article mentions that some women's rights advocates are upset that she dons a symbol of female oppression, but one of the people that worked on it said it is important to her backstory. Personally, I thinking kicking people's ass while wearing the very thing they try to oppress you with is actually good symbolism to show you are the one in control. Maybe that's just me....

Anyways, I present to you, the Burka Avenger.

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: Burka Avenger
That does look cool. I would watch it.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
What a cool idea! lol
Doesn't anyone else think that her wearing a burka kind of gives lie to her purpose? I find it jarring.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(July 27, 2013 at 11:33 am)Chas Wrote: Doesn't anyone else think that her wearing a burka kind of gives lie to her purpose? I find it jarring.

What do you mean?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 27, 2013 at 11:36 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(July 27, 2013 at 11:33 am)Chas Wrote: Doesn't anyone else think that her wearing a burka kind of gives lie to her purpose? I find it jarring.

What do you mean?

She seems to be fighting for change and for the rights of women. Burkas are pretty much antithetical to that.
Right, so the very thing they wish to oppress women with is kicking their ass. To me, that sends the message of "You can't control me."
(July 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Right, so the very thing they wish to oppress women with is kicking their ass. To me, that sends the message of "You can't control me."

I suppose so; that may be too subtle. Or maybe I'm not subtle enough. Thinking