Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new athiest missing the blissful ignorance of theory of god
new athiest missing the blissful ignorance of theory of god
I'm going from Quaker to agnostic and now athiest. I've seen the light, so to speak. I find myself missing that the theory of prayer and the actual thought it would be heard and might happen. Now that I've come to the realization that is totally outrageous, I'm feeling the loss of that ignorant calm. Has anyone else dealt with this? How have you dealt with this? Keep in mind I'm new.
RE: new athiest missing the blissful ignorance of theory of god
Hi!

Find someone of like mind to talk to. The obvious benefit is that it's an actual two way conversation.
It's like hitting your thumb with a hammer. The pain subsides and you go back to hitting the nail.

Welcome into the light.
I felt a lot better when I completely rid myself of religious belief. It was definitely an experience, after being Catholic for decades. You'll feel the same way.

Welcome!
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Hello! I'm fairly new to these forums as well.

I don't think it ever goes away. I have been free thinking for 7+ years now. This morning it rained while I was trying to smoke food and my first thought was: "Please god make it stop."

I'm also pretty sure that I will "repent" right before dying because I'm a bit of a coward.

To be fair though, I am also scared of ghosts. My bf has found the perfect trick to help me sleep at night when he is gone. He leaves the salt next to my bed and that supposedly scares them away.

Sounds crazy? That is because it is crazy (my fear of god and of ghosts). As long as your rational mind knows that you are being crazy I think it is ok.
IT, in my case it went away. Sure, at the beginning it was hard but now I couldn't care less about any deity. It's like breaking up with gf/bf.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

Welcome!

Chances are it will get better. For some, it's a struggle for life.

(July 31, 2013 at 2:53 pm)ITChick Wrote: I'm also pretty sure that I will "repent" right before dying because I'm a bit of a coward.

Will you repent to ALL gods believed in by humanity? If cowardice is really your motivation for repenting on your deathbed, why aren't you equally afraid of all the other gods?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I'm an ex-baptist that finally embraced atheism when I was around 30. It went away pretty quick for me. I couldn't give a rat's ass about it's loss to me now.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(July 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Will you repent to ALL gods believed in by humanity? If cowardice is really your motivation for repenting on your deathbed, why aren't you equally afraid of all the other gods?

Hehe. that is an easy question to answer. There was only one god that threatened me with eternal suffering when I was too little to know any better.

Despite my better judgement, that is the one that I am still scared off, and the one I will repent to.
(July 31, 2013 at 4:25 pm)ITChick Wrote:
(July 31, 2013 at 4:08 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Will you repent to ALL gods believed in by humanity? If cowardice is really your motivation for repenting on your deathbed, why aren't you equally afraid of all the other gods?

Hehe. that is an easy question to answer. There was only one god that threatened me with eternal suffering when I was too little to know any better.

Despite my better judgement, that is the one that I am still scared off, and the one I will repent to.

Hope you're lucid on your deathbed, or you're gonna be stuck with us! Not that I'm bad company, or anything...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest sarahqc1 26 4888 July 15, 2015 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda