Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age and relationships
Age and relationships
I've seen this girl around the place before and we have a lot of mutual friends, so I got talking with her over Facebook. I think she's seen my band play before, so she knew who I was, which made it really easy to chat.

We've been talking for a few days now and I think I'm falling for her. I also feel like she's playing hard to get, so it seems like there's some good chemistry that might lead to something. Except.. I asked her what 18+ shows she has been to because the only venues she kept talking about were the all ages ones.

It turns out she's 18 in 10 more weeks. I'm 23 at the start of next year... my heart pretty much sunk after realising just how much younger she is than me, which has been happening waay too often lately (where do girls my age hide?!).

What do you guys think of the classic 18 year old dating a 23 year old guy? Permissible or somewhat disturbing?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Age and relationships
I say do what makes you happy. As long as there's consent, and as long as you two aren't stepping on any toes, I'd say go for it. Play it safe, but go for it.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
I met my husband soon after turning 20, he was 41. So, no, I don't see a problem, so long as it is not an issue for either party. If you are worried, try it out, she might be on par with your maturity level or not, but you won't know until you've gone out a couple of times.
I also have in my heart a girl who is 18. Yet I'm turning 25 this year. I kinda had quite the worries as I generally did not approve of age differences more than 2-3 years, but I believe that she's the girl that I could actually marry later on. The age difference somewhat disturbed me and I had troubles on whether I should tell her what I feel or not. I did, and she took it quite well, though I'm finishing university and she's just starting, so I might have to wait some time until I can marry her. If we both live in the same city it won't be much of a problem I hope, though long years of wait can wear out on everyone's patience.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I think what also bothers me is that my sister is 18. I just feel like it's an automatic no-no to date one of her friends and, well, this girl is my sister's age... so to my mind it's not too far off from actually being the situation where I'm dating someone who's related to my sister in some way, shape or form.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(August 1, 2013 at 11:13 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I think what also bothers me is that my sister is 18. I just feel like it's an automatic no-no to date one of her friends and, well, this girl is my sister's age... so to my mind it's not too far off from actually being the situation where I'm dating someone who's related to my sister in some way, shape or form.

I also had the same thoughs before, my friend. But like, my sister is 22, and she's 18.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Every girlfriend I had so far was 1 to 4 years older than me.
The age difference between my parents is 10 years.

I see no reason to be bothered by big age differences as long as everything else is ok.

I keep away from girls that are younger than me because I dont want to get caught up with someone imature.
But if one was not, I would go for it.
I think I should probably talk to my parents as well. They're only a year apart with my dad being the older one.
You could both give eachother a mutual test-drive and go from there.

You know me, always the romantic Big Grin
(August 1, 2013 at 10:46 am)FallentoReason Wrote: What do you guys think of the classic 18 year old dating a 23 year old guy? Permissible or somewhat disturbing?

It's only 5 years difference, not exactly like you're Hugh Hefner or Bernie Ecclestone.

Besides, you're both consenting adults as others have said and she sounds more mature than most for her age (if you didn't even suspect she was under 18 when you met her), which makes age matter even less IMO.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to approach relationships? Macoleco 25 1391 October 16, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9223 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8395 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What’s your age and butt size J a c k 52 4931 January 27, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How Do You Percieve Age? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 4058 April 27, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  "Teen"age songs brewer 60 5968 July 27, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is age merely a number? OfMiceAndMen 58 7961 March 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Using neuroscience jargon to improve your interpersonal relationships Whateverist 4 1195 November 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  What's your age? Blanca 71 20630 March 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Diamond
  Average age of posters Diamond 61 7212 November 7, 2011 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Galileo