Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The aggressive atheist
The aggressive atheist
This happens to me fairly often. I'm having a fairly civilised conversation with a Christian and the aggressive atheist comes along: "F*#$€ you you f*^%#'ng Christian. Your god is a jerk and you are an idiot"

At this point the Christian would either dissapear or the two of them would have a fight.

What do I do when this happens? For some reason I feel bad telling the atheist off (we are on the same team after all), but he/she just ruined some good work that I did. Any advice?

Edit: sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. If someone could move it (sorry, I know you guys are busy) that would be great!
RE: The aggressive atheist
It's just part of the territory. It seems like a lot of forums have a couple of people who think it's their job to bark at newcomers. I've seen the same kind of behavior at Christian and Muslim forums, they just tend not to use the expletives...and somehow still manage to make it sound nastier than 'fuck off, you ignorant asshole'.

I think all you can do is stick to the conversation you're having with the person if they stick around. Freethinkers tend to reject the very concept of there being such a thing as a word that's bad and shouldn't be spoken or written. I agree with that sentiment, but 'curse words' get part of their impact from shock value, so I try not to overuse them, especially in print. It's an interesting phenomenon that someone else can work up the atmosphere around them into a blue haze without detracting from someone else's ability to verbally hit harder when they want to by swearing judiciously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lElf7D-An8
(August 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm)ITChick Wrote: This happens to me fairly often. I'm having a fairly civilised conversation with a Christian and the aggressive atheist comes along: "F*#$€ you you f*^%#'ng Christian. Your god is a jerk and you are an idiot"

At this point the Christian would either dissapear or the two of them would have a fight.

What do I do when this happens? For some reason I feel bad telling the atheist off (we are on the same team after all), but he/she just ruined some good work that I did. Any advice?

Edit: sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. If someone could move it (sorry, I know you guys are busy) that would be great!

I've been in that situation more than once. I dialog with more than a few believers on a fairly frequent basis (some of them are pretty close mates). I'll usually tell the interloper politely but firmly that this is a private conversation, and if he wishes to join it, he'd do better to mind his manners. If that doesn't work, I might (and I realize that this approach isn't for everyone) thump him hard enough to make him re-evaluate his priorites.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Happens quite a lot on this forum. "Hurr durr, I don't know what to say so I'll just start swearing at you." Fucking kudos whores.
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

I agree with "Mister Agenda". If the theist will stick around then proceed from where the conversation was interrupted, and if not, then engage them at the next mutual opportunity. The best "witness" we atheists can give to theists is to remain polite and stay on topic. I don't sense any need to apologize for the atheist who butts in, but it may be necessary to redirect if the theist cannot let go of the offense. Have fun. Be strong.
Are we talking about on a forum or in real life?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I say, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Though I find it pretty uncivil.
(August 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm)ITChick Wrote: This happens to me fairly often. I'm having a fairly civilised conversation with a Christian and the aggressive atheist comes along: "F*#$€ you you f*^%#'ng Christian. Your god is a jerk and you are an idiot"

What do I do when this happens? For some reason I feel bad telling the atheist off (we are on the same team after all)

I'm not on the same team with someone who acts that way.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I try not to tell theists off but usually one of two things happens.

1) They take offense and respond in an emotionally defensive manner at very mild statements I make because it's directed toward their core religious beliefs.

2) They say something really fucking stupid. Like saying their religious opinions should be respected because they "feel" a certain way about something.

Aaaaaaand there I go.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins prefers church bells to "aggressive-sounding Allahu Akbar" Alexmahone 12 1236 July 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Aggressive secularism? Darwinian 4 1798 October 14, 2009 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: chatpilot