Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phases of Deconverson
Phases of Deconverson
I know you all know of the Kübler-Ross model, I found an interesting article that kinda examines how it pertains to the deconversion process.

I find the methods of deconversion and how one deals with it very simliar atleast in my case. So what are yalls thoughts?

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/21830-...ion/page-1
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Phases of Deconverson
Never believed, did not even thought about it during civil war (a.k.a. time of despair, lol)...

That said, I'm looking forward to follow this post, it still sounds like a very interesting subject to me, curious to hear what ex-believers here have to say.

I used to be a lurker on ex-christian website when I was doing some personal research on how religious people stray from the god path (lots of inspiring stories/confessions there), definitely not an easy thing to do for many, indoctrination can be a powerful thing Tiger
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue
(August 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm)bladevalant546 Wrote: I know you all know of the Kübler-Ross model, I found an interesting article that kinda examines how it pertains to the deconversion process.

I find the methods of deconversion and how one deals with it very simliar atleast in my case. So what are yalls thoughts?

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/21830-...ion/page-1

I think this form of deconversion is pretty narrow in scope. It refers to people (especially Christians) who used to be very devout and had a religious upbringing who converted due to finding out facts previously unknown. But there are other models of deconversion as well:

The 4-phase model:
1. Religion isn't something I think much about - I follow the rituals my parents did and I like the idea of a kind and loving god watching over me and the morals and lessons in those texts seem so intuitively good and true that I believe its quite likely it came from god.
2. Now that I read a more deeply, I find out that yes, there are a lot of horrible parts there as well. But, its possible that only the good parts came from god and the rest came from people.
3. But the same logic can easily apply to other religions too - and to a lot of fictional works as well. There is nothing outstanding within it that it could not have come from human imagination - no outstanding morals or scientific knowledge. But I guess its still possible that they got the thing about there being a god right.
4. Who am I kidding? Religious texts aren't evidence for god - they were written by people like me who believed because they wanted to. There is really no good evidence to be found and I shouldn't believe simply because I like the idea - ok, I'm an atheist now.

3-phase model:
1. I believe in god - not one of a specific religion, but more as a general idea - and I my belief is justified.
2. My reasons? Well, the universe had to - no, wait, there are to actual answers there. What about justice? Bad people should - no, that goes nowhere either. Well, human physiology - no, that's a bullshit argument too. Fine, I don't have good reasons - I believe because I want to.
3. Why should I believe just because I want to? I don't do that anywhere else. If I can't justify it, I shouldn't believe it. I'm an atheist now.

2-phase model:
1. My friend has been raving about this author - he talks about god and stuff - might be interesting.
2. Mind = Blown. This dude makes so much sense. I never thought of it like that. I guess I'm an atheist now.

1-Phase model
1. Why god, why? How could you take her away from me? No - if there was a god, he wouldn't be such a shit-eating douchebag. Which means there must not be a god.
Thanks for the responses, and yes it is narrow view. Not all people go through it exactly. I however like your elaboration that you presented. I think the first really applies to myself personally. I do believe the better we understand the de-conversion process the better we can help people either A make more rational beliefs, or B help people who do not belong in said beliefs by fighting the indoctrination. I believe a lot of people are also struggling with the isolation that this a lot of times will bring on them. I feel as an agnostic there needs to be support for these folks. Stepping out of a cave into the light can be blinding, and viewing a huge world intimidating.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
Without resorting to trying to fit a framework, I can do a quick breakdown of the 'stages' as I recall them.

1. Complacency.
God was just 'there'...no questions to the contrary. (Age-through about 7).

2. Confusion.
I was seven, maybe eight, when the sudden notion that god was eternal became absurd. My mother suggested i talk to our pastor about it. His response, I remember clearly!, was to cut my mom a look, compose his thoughts, and say 'he's eternal because he's god'. Circular logic at it's best. This led to-

3. Complacency, Part 2
. I spent my early years singing songs and praying to god like I was taught, but now things were different. It seemed now to be a 'quaint' habit, and one not to dwell on. So I didn't.

4. Fear.
. My parents done and went born again when I was 14. Soon the family library was filled with godidit self help books, Falwell and Bakker were background noise, and damnation and hellfire were dinner table discussions. I had never entertained before what a lacksadaisical approach to god could get me! Holy shit! I got really bummed that my Jesus dissing could have repercussions. Luckily, boobs beat bibles, or i may have acquiesced to the Kool-Aid.

5. Rejection.
. I went on the Holy Land tour in '93. For five years the hellbound questions had plagued me. Surely here of all places I could get an answer to my dilemma, I reasoned. After multiple instances of 'scholars best guess, likely location of, potentially...' type qualifiers used to explain the life and times of Christ!, I had enough. My common sense was always true; it was irrational emotion that held me back. The bonds of delusion were severed...I was free. I was so exhilerated by the thought that I partied hard the rest of the tour. (And got busted in rank at the insistance of the Army chaplain in charge of our group. He says I was disrespectful...I say he meant not deferential enough.)

6. Acceptance.
. Some say lack of hard evidence isn't evidence enough. Fine. The last twenty some years I have seen, heard, read or experienced evidence that further contradicts biblical truths. My 'deconversion' at the gates of the Western Wall may have just been a starting point, but nothing in the journey makes me want to pull a u-turn.

I'm not sure how this fits tidily into the earlier posts' 'steps'...but there ya go.

PS- In all fairness, LSD also contributed. Smile