Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I went looking for evidence of a soul...
So I went looking for evidence of a soul...
I figure I want to be on the asserting end of an argument for once.

Kirlian photography was a dead end: http://www.mediacollege.com/photography/types/kirlian/

Aura photography looks like a gimicky joke: http://www.auraphoto.com/

So I would like to introduce Dr. MacDougall: http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

He found out by weighing dying patients that they lose a few grams right at the point of death. His sample size was far too small (6 people!) to be accepted as a conclusive test but with one patient there was a decided drop right at the moment of death. I find it interesting and would be interested in further studies like his.

The main reason I believe in a soul is because of an experience I had where I slowly rose out of my body and saw a silver thread connecting me to my astral body to my physical body. I had never read anything about astral projection so I had no prior knowledge that would lead me to create the hallucination of a silver thread. "The Llewelyn Practical Guide to Astral Projection" talks at length about the silver thread and there were other things that matched my experience.

My idea of a soul does not necessarily posit a seperate body that remains intact after death although it might account for ghost sightings if it did exist at least for a while after death. If there was a part that lived on it would be the spirit and I am pretty sure that doesn't exist. The soul for me would be comprised of the energetic part of the body and the mind.

*Braces for impact as he knows he is about to be laughed off the forums* Smile
Rhizo
RE: So I went looking for evidence of a soul...
1. Why would losing weight after death, suddenly jump to the conclusion of it somehow being a "soul?". Isn't that kind of like, God of the gaps, only...'Soul(s) of the gaps' Instead?

2. How is your personal experience evidence? It may be a reason to believe from your point of view, but over 70,000 people...70,000 in Portugal, Fatima, claimed to see the Sun crash to the Earth - but did it happen? Personal experience alone, is not evidence - it's not objective.

3. If the Soul is really immaterial, as it's so often claimed to be ( or even non-physical altogether), how would it have a weight?

EvF
Perhaps it has something to do with the consious peorson somehow actively exerting force against the scale that a dead person does not do; have they tried weighing sleeping people?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

On one of the links in the OP, I forgot which one now, it said that the claims could easily be debunked. And one of the suggestions was, that it is simply moisture leaving the body.

Evie
I knew this bloke into Shamanism reckoned he could will himself heavier and got me to demonstrate in front of a class me picking him up. I put more effort into picking up the 'heavy' him - he just appeared 'stiffer' if that equates to heavier somehow.

Yes I don't get the weight thing at all. I agree with Evie's description of a non physical entity.

I used to get flashes of floating on the ceiling like my eyes were out the back of my head. Like that movie effect where you zoom out to get a distant perspective.
EvF,

So you honestly consider your responses to me well thought out?

Quote:1. Why would losing weight after death, suddenly jump to the conclusion of it somehow being a "soul?". Isn't that kind of like, God of the gaps, only...'Soul(s) of the gaps' Instead?

It isn't necessarily proof of a soul but it could lend some insight into what happens after we die.

Quote:2. How is your personal experience evidence? It may be a reason to believe from your point of view, but over 70,000 people...70,000 in Portugal, Fatima, claimed to see the Sun crash to the Earth - but did it happen? Personal experience alone, is not evidence - it's not objective.

That fact that you don't believe it does not mean it didn't happen. Besides, I said the reason "I", me, the author of this thread, believe is because of personal experience. The fact that you think I am saying YOU should believe is just your erroneous reading of my post.

Quote:3. If the Soul is really immaterial, as it's so often claimed to be ( or even non-physical altogether), how would it have a weight?

When did I say it was immaterial? I said, "The soul for me would be comprised of the energetic part of the body and the mind."

Quote:On one of the links in the OP, I forgot which one now, it said that the claims could easily be debunked. And one of the suggestions was, that it is simply moisture leaving the body.

You refer to the Kirlian photography link that I said was a dead end.

The whole point of my thread was to show that there isn't any conclusive, objective evidence of a soul but there might be some interesting follow up to Dr. MacDougall's work.

Rhizo
Where is the repeatable evidence that the body looses weight at death?
Any one can claim anything, anywhere at any time and they sure do!
For it to be valid many others should be able to repeat the experiment, anywhere and at anytime.
Remember Fleischmann-Pons cold fusion?
Albert.
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)
Godless,

Yeah, that is why I mentioned that Dr. MacDougall only performed his experiment on 6 people. It is woefully inadequete to be a conclusive experiment and, as EvF pointed out, even if there was weight loss it certainly isn't conlusive evidence of a soul. If the test WAS done more often and the same results were found I would see it as a step towards proving that a soul exists or some other vital part of us, that has weight, leaves upon death. It is a pretty weird experiment and hard to get participants without appearing ghoulish. Hmm, I was expecting harsher posts but I imagine I won't get any because I didn't make any strong assertion.

Rhizo
You naturally exhale from your lungs as your muscles constrict in death... 'moisture leaving the body' sounds like so much bunk... at least the loss of air from one's lungs actually makes sense. o.o
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The air in the lungs would not be measured by the scale if the scale was in an air filled environment, because it would be of equal pressure to the ambient air pressure, and I doubt someone that close to dying can pressuride the air in their lungs.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2487 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3376 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1660 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4792 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8147 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2893 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1050 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4134 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 24133 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2607 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball