Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello
hello
Hello, everyone. I am new here. I am just beginning to accept the fact that I no longer believe god. I am looking to find a forum I can call home. I have been belittled, called names and made to feel very unwelcome at other forums. My reasons for being atheist are much differnt than most and at this other forum I was put down for them. Hopefully, it is not like that here and no one will rip apart my replies like they did other places. And I will post them somewhere else at another time, I just want to get aquainted with the forums right now.
RE: hello
Welcome wuzzey Smile

This forum stands against such bigotry I'm proud to say. Hope you find it to be so Big Grin
Welcome to the forums Wuzzey. Look forward to hearing your arguments, and whatever they are, I won't Ad Hom you. And I'd hope I'd never belittle you either. I wouldn't intentionally anyway.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!!

EvF
Welcome wuzzey, enjoy the forum.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

I'm new here too Wuzzy, so welcome from one newbie to another.
You will find much to interest you here.....you will spend more
time here reading what others have to say than in praying!

The smilies are great too and take a look down the,
'Hall of Shame.' ....yet more smiles there :-)
Albert.
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)
Hi Wuzzey,

Welcome to the forum.

(September 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm)wuzzey Wrote: Hello, everyone. I am new here. I am just beginning to accept the fact that I no longer believe god.

What a coincidence, there are more of those here. :p

(September 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm)wuzzey Wrote: My reasons for being atheist are much differnt than most and at this other forum I was put down for them.

Okay, then let me ask you this. Hypothetically, if someone comes to an atheist forum and says "Hi, I am Fred and I no longer believe in a god because my cat told me it was nonsense!". Even though he is an atheist, would you really take that guy seriously?

Now I know this is an extreme example, but just because someone doesnt believe in gods doesn't mean he or she is exempt from scrutiny and resistance if their other beliefs are nonsensical.

I am not defending the actions of the people from other forums here, but just to let you know that if someone here does "put you down" for something you wrote, may be it might be a good time to reflect on what it is you wrote and whether or not it objectively holds up to scrutiny. Always remember though it is never personal.

I know it is not easy, I have had to do that on several occasions but in the end it was worth it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome to the forums Wuzzey,

Leo makes a good point; even though many of us here are atheist we do attack each other's arguments and sometimes each other, although I personally try to avoid it even though I do it from time to time. Smile

Just try to remember that there are no teams here. We are all people first, then all the other labels we affix to ourselves and to each other are secondary. So, if some "atheist" is attacking you, that doesn't mean "we" all agree with them and the same goes for theists.

Rhizo
You are assuming that cats cannot talk ^_^ Perhaps this particular cat is special, or even an advanced alien undercover on Earth! Shock Be open to the possibility of the unexpected occurring, and when the unexpected does happen: you will more quickly adapt Smile

Anyway, welcome Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(September 30, 2009 at 9:59 pm)wuzzey Wrote: I am looking to find a forum I can call home. I have been belittled, called names and made to feel very unwelcome at other forums. Hopefully, it is not like that here and no one will rip apart my replies like they did other places.

Welcome Wuzzey. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I don't think anyone will rip apart your replys unless you say something rude or offensive.

I would agree with what Leo and Rhizo have said, both have good points.

The Atheist forums in my opinion has the best mod's and admin's Smile Big Grin They are good at catching anyone breaking the rules or anyone doing something offensive.

Amp
Welcome wuzzey. I'm sure your reasons for being an atheist make perfect sense to you. My reason is I outgrew god. My family wasn't religious so by my teen years I called myself an atheist and still do. I feel being an atheist is liberating. You only have yourself to answer tooSmile
binnyCoffee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6008 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3648 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates