Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh the absurdity
Oh the absurdity
A christian friend of mine who I had not seen in a really long time, IMed me on Wednesday night since she saw I was logged in. We chatted for a while just the usual small talk BS that people say to one another when they have not seen or talked to someone in a while. Then she asked me if I had found a church home. The last I had talked to her I had left an assemblies of god church because the people were arrogant, rude and nasty and hypocrates. But what she didnt know is that I was also beginning to question the existance of god at that time as well. I told her I have become an atheist. She stated that god also delivered her from lesbianism as well. I am a lesbian and when I was christian this friend relied on me to try to help her reconcile being christian and gay. I had at one point reconciled the two. But she could never do it. So she told me that she, after much prayer was not longer a lesbain and was delivered by god of her attraction to women. Whatever. So she then procced to tell me I need to ask god to deliver me, confess my sins and he can deliver me from both atheism and homosexuality. And that I have allowed the devil a foothold into my life and that I have to cast him out because I have accepted jesus as my lord and savior.
At one point in my life i may have actually done that since I bought into the christian world of make believe. But now any of that is the most bizarre thing ever for me.
When I tried to explain myself she didn't reply and then after a few minutes she signed off IM.
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" --Thomas Jefferson
RE: Oh the absurdity
Typical christian thinking. God will save their lives if they only believe in him and pray. Oh brother. That's what just pisses me off about some christians. They think that everyone needs to be saved by Jesus. Shit. I'll save myself thank you. I was at my mom's group yesterday and they had to do that damn praying shit again. Sometimes I feel like standing up and yelling 'take care of your own problems, don't rely on your imaginary friend'.
binnyCoffee
RE: Oh the absurdity
Wuzzey,

Wow tough convo! I have heard about the movement to "fix" homosexuality through the power of prayer and many years ago I thought it was just another sin people engaged in. My brother is gay and I have caused him much personal grief over my odd beliefs and he has caused himself the same through his own odd beliefs. I think most Christian homosexuals beat themselves up because it is hard to justify that fact of reality with the bible. I believe it is something you are born with so don't fight it or you will only build up cognitive disonance within yourself which CAN make you physically ill in very real ways. Hopefully you can be there for your friend when she has those tough times that are probably inevitable. It can be hard to maintain friendships with people with very different beliefs.

My brother is still Christian and has never wavered, although he is the type that just pays lip service and his actions have nothing to do with any interpretation of the bible I have ever heard of. I understand why he doesn't want to give up God so whatever; I love my brother so he could worship whatever deity he wants so long as he is happy.

Rhizo