Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church exiles member for supporting lesbian daughter
Church exiles member for supporting lesbian daughter
Quote:Collegedale, Tennessee resident Linda Cooper has been asked to leave a church she has attended for six decades because she would not publicly condemn her daughter’s lesbian lifestyle in front of the congregation.

Cooper’s daughter, Kat Cooper, is a detective with the Collegedale Police Department. She and her partner Krista were married in Maryland in May. The couple has been fighting the Collegedale city government in an effort to be granted the same legal rights as heterosexual couples. They recently won over legislators, and Collegedale became the first city in Tennessee to introduce same-sex benefits.

Throughout the entire legal process, Linda Cooper supported her daughter. Linda Cooper’s public support did not sit well with the church, and she was asked to either publicly denounce her daughter’s lifestyle or leave.

Cooper chose her daughter.

“My mother was up here and she sat beside me. That's it,” Kat Cooper said, acccording to The Daily Mail. “Literally, they're exiling members for unconditionally loving their children - and even extended family members.”

The Coopers have attended the church for decades, reports the New York Daily News. Linda Cooper was raised in the church, and her father’s plaque hangs on the walls of the church.

“This is not just some casual church they dropped in on," said Hunt Cooper, the father of Kat and husband of Linda.

Linda Cooper has not taken the exile from her church well.

“She is just so traumatized and so upset,” Hunt Cooper said. “It has been days and she's still crying. It's almost like losing a family member.”

The Cooper’s, who do not believe homosexuality is a choice, continue to support their daughter. Hunt says it was not the church’s place to judge Linda.

“That was between her and her God and it was not their place to judge her for that,” he said.

Ridgedale Church of Christ minister Ken Willis spoke briefly on the church’s decision to exile Cooper.

“The sin would be endorsing that lifestyle," Willis said. “The Bible speaks very plainly about that. You certainly can't condone that lifestyle, whether it's any kind of sin—whether they're shacked up with someone or living in a state of fornication or they're guilty of crimes. You don't condone it."

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/g...n-daughter#

Sigh.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Church exiles member for supporting lesbian daughter
Hey, chose the daughter over the church: way to go girl! Big Grin
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Makes me want to throw-up!

This morning I ran into an 'elder' from my former church,
(one of two I was exiled from). I reminded him of what a
self-righteous asshole he is. He didn't seem impressed.
What else did I expect? Makes me wish there were a hell!
Strangely, when I a christian I did extensive study on homosexuality in the bible. Only place it says it is wrong is in the OT in Leviticus, however it only states man on man sex. Which also begs an interesting side not in Romans, paul speaks about "homosexual" behavior the greek word that is used means prostitution. It also states that women are doing what is "unnatural" however there is not context. Since we only have the OT to judge, it is hard to speculate what Paul really meant. The only kind of possible explanation was a fringe pagan group of women who did some detestable sexual acts. I say this to make one point, most of the beliefs held by the modern chruch are still very much catholic style draconian laws, most do not know what they really believe.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
What a wonderful church to do her such a favor. I bet she would have found it much more difficult to free herself of it without its help.

The miracle of Christianity - it generously helps anyone with half a brain and a quarter of a spine to free him/herself of it.
I got pregnant before marriage. Yeah it was stupid, let's skip that part lol

So, anyway. They had me stand in front of the church (500 people staring) and ask for forgiveness to them. My mom, dad, and brother stood next to me as I asked for forgiveness. Back then, I felt that was amazing. Time passed by and I began to resent that. They should have stopped me. Now I forgive them, because they were ignorant as much as I was. I'm glad we all left the church and that at least my brother and I are atheists.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(August 26, 2013 at 5:18 am)Ivy Wrote: I got pregnant before marriage. Yeah it was stupid, let's skip that part lol

So, anyway. They had me stand in front of the church (500 people staring) and ask for forgiveness to them. My mom, dad, and brother stood next to me as I asked for forgiveness. Back then, I felt that was amazing. Time passed by and I began to resent that. They should have stopped me. Now I forgive them, because they were ignorant as much as I was. I'm glad we all left the church and that at least my brother and I are atheists.

Thank you for sharing that. Horrible memories of a religious past can be daunting.

At least for me.

I had a similar experience. It was during my youth when I had just come out of the closet to a few people. I was also a fundamentalist Christian at the time, though I attempted to find a balance between faith and being gay. Even my best friend at the time informed me that there was nothing wrong with being gay. That changed quickly. Later in life, she would deny ever having been my friend.

I digress, however. One night during a service the pastor began speaking of someone in the congregation who needed help. He began to mention homosexuality, and I instinctively knew it was me. The only way he could know was if my best friend had informed him, though he claimed he had received a message from god. I looked over at her, and i knew right away.

The pastor called me to the front and I stupidly allowed everyone to pray for me, in the hopes of removing the demon of homosexuality from me. If I could go back in time, oh the way things would have been different.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 26, 2013 at 5:18 am)Ivy Wrote: I got pregnant before marriage. Yeah it was stupid, let's skip that part lol

I very nearly headdesked in utter frustration reading this. Only reason I didn't is it would probably startle the nice girls sitting at the table across from me. Tongue

That's why I love the library: makes me too reserved to hurt myself. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Maelstrom, thank you for sharing this story. I can imagine how difficult that was for you. I'm just glad you didn't go through life trying to be someone you are not, got married to a woman, and prayed every night that you might fall in love with her. I'm happy for you.

Esquilax, it's not that bad. I mean, it could be worse. Like the time they sent me to a "bible institute" that ended up being more like a convent, that ended up locking me up in a room for two months. So yeah. I'm glad I'm out Smile
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(August 26, 2013 at 5:35 am)Ivy Wrote: Like the time they sent me to a "bible institute" that ended up being more like a convent, that ended up locking me up in a room for two months.

That must have been scary.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1229 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4151 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Billy Graham's Daughter says transgender people responsible for 9/11 Aroura 23 4874 May 15, 2016 at 7:02 am
Last Post: abaris
  How would you suggest going about dealing with an ignorant extended family member GoHalos1993 21 3743 January 1, 2016 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Daughter begins Kindergarten Elskidor 15 2715 May 16, 2015 at 8:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christian's attacking my 6 yo daughter with their BS! Brakeman 236 27947 March 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10514 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Local public school community supporting ten commandments posted on property Skylar 12 5332 September 8, 2012 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Lesbian denied communion at mother's funeral Doubting Thomas 16 7109 March 2, 2012 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Violet
  Card Carrying Member Cinjin 51 12697 July 5, 2011 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Epimethean