Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religious addiction
religious addiction
On my way from christianity, I walked away from a fundamentalist church for amy reasons. When I was there I encountered many people who were recovering addicts of some sort. Many of them pracically lived at church and participated in every ministry and were involved in everything they could be involved with. And constantly talked about god. It seemed that they replaced an addiction of alcohol or drugs with an addiction of religion. And the sad part is that the dont realize they are addicted to something that does not exisit. I find it odd that one can become addicted to what does not exist.
They have such addicted personalities that they need the high or buzz and knowing that alcohol and drugs in excess is harmful they find religion. And then those that do not have an addiction become addicted too.
Maybe atheists need to establish RA religion anonymouse. Like aa but for those coming out of addiction of religion.
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" --Thomas Jefferson
RE: religious addiction
But if they are addicted to something that doesent exist, would that not make it very difficult to make them see their addiction?

Great idea though.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

They don't see it as addiction they see it a love for "god".
"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" --Thomas Jefferson
There are a LOT of people like that in AA. They give me the complete shits.

BUT----The common criticism that addicts have replaced one addiction with another is an infuriatingly fuckwitted criticism to make.

YES,addicts can addict to ANYTHIng,including religion. So fucking what? Being addicted to religion won't kill them or cause them to harm themselves or others.

They have a less than 5% chance of staying in recovery from their addiction long term..

What you understand or do not understand is called 'argument from incredulity. aka 'argument from ignorance' and is irrelevant
(October 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm)padraic Wrote: YES,addicts can addict to ANYTHIng,including religion. So fucking what? Being addicted to religion won't kill them or cause them to harm themselves or others.

I wouldn't say that. In general the addictions can be harmless, in other instances it can have devastating consequences.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Padraic,

Good post, I was going to make the same one before I saw your post. For those that are going to harm themselves due to lack of impulse control I would agree that being addicted to religion is better than whatever substance that would have a more negative effect on their life.

Wuzzey,

I have known many addicts through being involved with an outreach program through my church. One thing I noticed was the fervor with which these people approached staying sober. They were genuine in their desire but I felt they were missing the point by replacing drug addiction with religious addiction (You seem to agree with me there), mainly because there is no "release" "high" or "buzz" with religion that fully accomplishes replacement of whatever drug they were into. The aspect of the outreach program that I got involved with was activities. To truly stay off drugs I think it takes replacement by something that will provide a similar reward as using drugs and a recalibration of the brain to require less stimulation to be satisfied.

I've read that heroin addicts often take up BDSM once they are off heroin because it provides a similar cycle of release to heroin addiction. Hey, between kinky sex and taking heroin I think kinky sex wins!

Rhizo
Religion can be and is dangerous at time. So addiction to religion can be potentially harmful to others. I do find it curious why certain people with drug and alcohol problems turn to god or jesus. It seems that a lot of the people I know that have had problems with drugs and alcohol have become bible thumpers.
binnyCoffee
It's also a huge stigma to become religious as a result of trauma.
Trauma can always lead to reconsideration of ideas... ever watch Tony Stark's (Ironman) transformation after he is held hostage for 3 months?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Sae,

Argument from fiction! Ha ha! I have done the same in another thread. That movie was great!

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My brother's bible class was teaching him about "addiction" MusicLovingAtheist 57 10498 October 21, 2014 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32907 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope