Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Conversion Story
My Conversion Story
My conversion story is as follows:

I lived the first 13 years of my life convinced I was a devout Catholic. I was sent to Sunday School for about 9 years. During my early childhood, my family would go to church every Sunday, but as it slowly became more and more inconvenient, that stopped, and church was reserved for Christmas and Easter.

My conversion is probably based on my interest in science. In 7th grade (for those unfamiliar with the American education system, 7th grade is taken when you are about 13), I was enrolled in a basic biology class. About midway through the year, we began briefly talking about the origin of life, and we were allowed two basic viewpoints - bacterial evolution and divine creation. A very close friend of mine, who I'd long known to be a skeptic, immediately decided upon bacterial evolution.

It was at this point I was pretty much forced into thinking about my beliefs seriously - a process which seems to be the key to conversion. He's my friend, he's very smart...how could he be wrong? But then again, how have I been wrong all this time?

I pretty quickly realized what I had been believing, or what I thought I had been believing, for most of my life. I observed that I had never felt any sort of response while praying, and I prayed a lot. I was never truly invested in God, and when the choice was God or scientific endeavor, it was clear to me at that point. Soon after, I bought the God Delusion, and never looked back.

Slowly but surely from that point on, I became, essentially, an evangelical atheist. I'm fortunate enough now to be in a school with a majority of the student base being at least agnostic. I am however, an American, and am faced with religious people every day. I've noticed a lot of young people being agnostic or atheist, and am optimistic that the next generation will contain a large amount of such opinions.

Cheers,
~Nick
"The finality of death is the coldest truth one must face. Religion makes the perfect distraction." - Anonymous
RE: My Conversion Story
Loved your story. I know many atheists. Few were atheists all of their lives. Most were once believers. Some like myself were fanatical.

I still am. So, if your an atheist evangelist, you're not alone. Thanks for your story.
Huzzah for the sensible!
Richard Dawkins would be pleased.
Welcome to the land of the logical.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Conversion - De-conversion *Long* rskovride 9 3372 March 4, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1764 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1947 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5405 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4621 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4679 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2341 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3402 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My de-converted re-conversion Rarthyr500 47 13410 December 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4574 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent