Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
actions or intentions?
actions or intentions?
Which is better in your (or atheists in general) mind?

I was looking this up on Yahoo a few minutes ago when my mother, who lives up the road a bit, bid "adieu" to me for the night after I had a minor medical-related mishap that required assistance. I believe we are both pretty maxed out by today's proceedings. And I think she maxed herself out even more, and I kind of didn't know how to "just say no".

But, forget all that. I'm not trying to create more context than what the question asks.

From a very quick skim, it seems Muslims (I think) look more at the intention, but many others quoted that saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." You know, action over purpose, I guess.

I dunno. If this is an inappropriate discussion, lock it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: actions or intentions?
From the Islamic viewpoint, the action is worthless without the appropriate intention, as far as God's judgement is concerned.

Example, if you give $10,000 to a girl disguised as charity but you know/expect that you'll get a blowjob, then you're probably getting a stormy cloud from god.

As far as I am concerned as an atheist, I still believe intentions are important, but that doesn't mean much if you're giving me $10,000 I will happily accept it and NOT give you a blowjob... so I don't care what your intention was in that case.

But in the court of law, if someone deliberately murdered another person and it was premeditated, then this is within the realm of intention and can change the outcome of the verdict.

If your intention was defending your own home and you did not expect to shoot someone that evening, then clearly the verdict will be different from above, if proven to the judge adequately.

So my conclusion is that intentions are just as important as the actions, they go together like an Oreo cookie.
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius
RE: actions or intentions?
Quote:So my conclusion is that intentions are just as important as the actions, they go together like an Oreo cookie.

Yes, both. It is broken otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Are all actions in life based on interest only"? WinterHold 38 2799 April 16, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8312 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Religion had good intentions, but nature has better LivingNumbers6.626 39 9064 December 3, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: John V
  Actions versus Consequences Reforged 11 5048 July 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Reforged