Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't know
I don't know
Over the quest for human knowledge people have searched for knowledge and asked very big questions. However the answer to these questions we often don't know, and we say that we do know the answer, even though we don't. Sometimes we are wrong by accident.

Is not the best philosophy to just accept the ignorance of our kind, the stupidity of our nature, the fact that we are a minuscule beast that roams the earth in its largeness.

This is not to say that people should stop searching for knowledge, just that they should be open to change, new ideas, the possibility that they are wrong, the possibility that they have been deceived, at all times.

People are a predator. A vicious beast with a vicious nature and to call ourselves righteous is to call the sky the ground.

People live short lives and there are many of us. In each generation there is something new that nature has brought forth. To be caught in the past is to be caught in an evil spider's web.

That's my philosophy I suppose. There could be more of it but this is just a forum post. Also Democritus really annoys me. Sometimes I can put up with him and other times I want to throw beer in his face. Lucky he's dead and from Ancient Greece so I'm not punished for this disorderly behavior.
RE: I don't know
(September 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm)Dunno Wrote: Over the quest for human knowledge people have searched for knowledge and asked very big questions. However the answer to these questions we often don't know, and we say that we do know the answer, even though we don't. Sometimes we are wrong by accident.

Is not the best philosophy to just accept the ignorance of our kind, the stupidity of our nature, the fact that we are a minuscule beast that roams the earth in its largeness.

This is not to say that people should stop searching for knowledge, just that they should be open to change, new ideas, the possibility that they are wrong, the possibility that they have been deceived, at all times.

People are a predator. A vicious beast with a vicious nature and to call ourselves righteous is to call the sky the ground.

People live short lives and there are many of us. In each generation there is something new that nature has brought forth. To be caught in the past is to be caught in an evil spider's web.

That's my philosophy I suppose. There could be more of it but this is just a forum post. Also Democritus really annoys me. Sometimes I can put up with him and other times I want to throw beer in his face. Lucky he's dead and from Ancient Greece so I'm not punished for this disorderly behavior.

Let's start with you.

Are you willing to accept that you are ignorant and stupid? Are you willing to accept that you are wrong about all the things you've said here? Are you willing to accept that people are not just miniscule beasts roaming earth but giants with dominion over it? That We haven't been deceived? That we are not a predator of a vicious nature but noble souls of a righteous one? Are you willing to admit to all that?
(September 25, 2013 at 8:10 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(September 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm)Dunno Wrote: Over the quest for human knowledge people have searched for knowledge and asked very big questions. However the answer to these questions we often don't know, and we say that we do know the answer, even though we don't. Sometimes we are wrong by accident.

Let's start with you.

Are you willing to accept that you are ignorant and stupid? Are you willing to accept that you are wrong about all the things you've said here? Are you willing to accept that people are not just miniscule beasts roaming earth but giants with dominion over it? That We haven't been deceived? That we are not a predator of a vicious nature but noble souls of a righteous one? Are you willing to admit to all that?

I'm willing to admit I'm ignorant and stupid, although IQ tests say I'm smarter than most people, because I think the human species as a whole is ignorant and stupid. I'm willing to change my opinion if you have an argument that beats me. however you don't. You just disagreed with everything I said in a snide manner. I will never admit that people don't have a vicious nature because people are mean and I have lots of experience with this.
(September 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm)Dunno Wrote: I'm willing to admit I'm ignorant and stupid, although IQ tests say I'm smarter than most people, because I think the human species as a whole is ignorant and stupid. I'm willing to change my opinion if you have an argument that beats me. however you don't. You just disagreed with everything I said in a snide manner. I will never admit that people don't have a vicious nature because people are mean and I have lots of experience with this.

Your admission defeats your own argument. The knowledge that humanity is ignorant and stupid would require a smart and informed mind to make that conclusion. Therefore, if you are ignorant and stupid then your conclusions regarding humanity's ignorance and stupidity are unreliable. On the other hand, if the only reason you are admitting to your own ignorance and stupidity due to your presumption that humanity is ignorant and stupid, then you are - at once - begging the question and stealing the concept.

Your next statement further defeats your argument. Having accepted that you are ignorant and stupid, the logical conclusion is that all your conclusions can be called into questions and be wrong - essentially, what you are asking of everyone in the first post. And yet, here you are unwilling to do the same about your own conclusions regarding human nature.

Can't say that I agree but you get that choice, and it is good to see someone thinking or trying to think outside the norms.

This post lacks focus. What are you getting at? Trying to say we are all dumb predatory animals because I am not. I think for myself, I am not bound by instinct compelling me to kill and eat. I can starve myself to death on purpose if I choose, animals do not do that. I can reason with the fact that I exist and ask these questions as you have? Can your dog do that, or maybe that cattle you had last night for dinner? We might consume animals but mentally that does not make us animals. I am not talking about genetics either here.

I see many in our race seeking knowledge and not perpetuating ignorance. One must start someplace to grow and I see us doing just that even if slowly. We would not be here discussing this on this electronic computerized forum right now if people had prescribed to what you wrote here.
(September 27, 2013 at 6:32 am)genkaus Wrote:
(September 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm)Dunno Wrote: I'm willing to admit I'm ignorant and stupid, although IQ tests say I'm smarter than most people, because I think the human species as a whole is ignorant and stupid. I'm willing to change my opinion if you have an argument that beats me. however you don't. You just disagreed with everything I said in a snide manner. I will never admit that people don't have a vicious nature because people are mean and I have lots of experience with this.

Your admission defeats your own argument. The knowledge that humanity is ignorant and stupid would require a smart and informed mind to make that conclusion. Therefore, if you are ignorant and stupid then your conclusions regarding humanity's ignorance and stupidity are unreliable. On the other hand, if the only reason you are admitting to your own ignorance and stupidity due to your presumption that humanity is ignorant and stupid, then you are - at once - begging the question and stealing the concept.

Your next statement further defeats your argument. Having accepted that you are ignorant and stupid, the logical conclusion is that all your conclusions can be called into questions and be wrong - essentially, what you are asking of everyone in the first post. And yet, here you are unwilling to do the same about your own conclusions regarding human nature.

Just because I'm ignorant and stupid doesn't mean my conclusions are wrong. You are missing the point. Can a stupid person recognize that the leaves on the tree are green? Of course. Just because I came to these conclusions doesn't mean that they took me hours of thought. Would you tell the stupid person that they are wrong, that leaves aren't green, because they are stupid? That would just be very mean of you wouldn't it.

(September 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm)gall Wrote:

Can't say that I agree but you get that choice, and it is good to see someone thinking or trying to think outside the norms.

This post lacks focus. What are you getting at? Trying to say we are all dumb predatory animals because I am not. I think for myself, I am not bound by instinct compelling me to kill and eat. I can starve myself to death on purpose if I choose, animals do not do that. I can reason with the fact that I exist and ask these questions as you have? Can your dog do that, or maybe that cattle you had last night for dinner? We might consume animals but mentally that does not make us animals. I am not talking about genetics either here.

I see many in our race seeking knowledge and not perpetuating ignorance. One must start someplace to grow and I see us doing just that even if slowly. We would not be here discussing this on this electronic computerized forum right now if people had prescribed to what you wrote here.

You are contradicting yourself. You say that animals can't do what you can do, yet you are an animal. You are only part of Earth's ecosystem, and every living thing is connected and a part of it. The wolf may have killed the deer, but the deer was killing the grass, and the grass is alive. They are both murderers. We are mentally animals because there isn't anything else that we are. You also didn't recognize that I acknowledged the human's thirst for knowledge.

Let me ask you something, who was smarter, the person who created clockwork, or Einstein, who said time was the fourth dimension? I think the person who invented clockwork, Einstein was just sitting around thinking after all, while the person who invented clockwork made something useful. But do you know the person's name who invented clockwork? They did so much for you, worked so hard, were so inventive, but you know Einstein's name instead.

People don't know how the universe was created. People are animals. People don't know what will happen after you die. Accept it. Accept that you are liars. Accept that you are gullible. Accept that you, in all of your brilliance, are minuscule and stupid, and only part of the Earth's ecosystem.
(September 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm)gall Wrote: I can starve myself to death on purpose if I choose, animals do not do that.

The evidence may be anecdotal in regards to this, but I wouldn't count it out yet.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...715AAGBb3U

(September 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm)Dunno Wrote: Just because I'm ignorant and stupid doesn't mean my conclusions are wrong. You are missing the point. Can a stupid person recognize that the leaves on the tree are green? Of course. Just because I came to these conclusions doesn't mean that they took me hours of thought. Would you tell the stupid person that they are wrong, that leaves aren't green, because they are stupid? That would just be very mean of you wouldn't it.

Thanks for proving your ignorance and stupidity.

What I actually said was that since you are - by your own admission - ignorant and stupid, your conclusions are unreliable, can be called into question and can be wrong. I never said that they are wrong simply because of your ignorance and stupidity. And since you have given no justification for your conclusions, it is quite easy to call them into question. My own observations of humanity tell me that you are wrong and I'm not stupid or ignorant.
Popcorn
Quote:I'm willing to admit I'm ignorant and stupid

Then we are in agreement, for I am also willing to admit that you are ignorant and stupid.

Quote:although IQ tests say I'm smarter than most people,

Actually, all IQ tests are good for is determining how well one takes IQ tests.

Quote:because I think the human species as a whole is ignorant and stupid.

Like the stupid humans who created computers, modems and the internet so you could pop in here and bloviate about how ignorant and stupid everyone but you is?

Quote:I'm willing to change my opinion if you have an argument that beats me. however you don't. You just disagreed with everything I said in a snide manner.

But you need to post an actual argument first, instead of just whinging about how everyone (excepting yourself, of course) is stupid and ignorant.

Quote:I will never admit that people don't have a vicious nature because people are mean and I have lots of experience with this.

Aw, people are mean to you. Poor wubby.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm)gall Wrote: We might consume animals but mentally that does not make us animals. I am not talking about genetics either here.

Don't you hate it when people react to one part of what you've written when it is not even your chief point? That's what I'm doing. I actually think it is essential to remember that we are animals with mammalian brains. Fairly recently our species developed the capacity for using symbolic language and engaging in discursive thought. That makes our mental lives very different than every other animal on the planet so far as we can tell. But the original poster is getting at something when he describes us as "A vicious beast with a vicious nature and to call ourselves righteous is to call the sky the ground. "

Personally I think that is unduly slanted and pessimistic. He is right that we are beasts. However there is also a kind of nobility to beasts, even for carnivores. I wouldn't be as quick to condemn animal nature. Regardless, whatever it is that motivates other animals also animates us. Discursive thought gives us the capacity to consider things abstractly but it never takes away that which motivates our choices. We certainly are animals, just very weird ones. (Aren't you glad to be this kind of weird?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do we know what we know? Aegon 15 1894 October 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  (LONG) "I Don't Know" as a Good Answer in Ethics vulcanlogician 69 8681 November 27, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How do we know what we know, if we know anything? Mudhammam 12 2853 February 8, 2014 at 1:36 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  How do I know the things I know? Akincana Krishna dasa 52 19120 October 27, 2012 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Angrboda