Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anticipate a Festival of Denial
Anticipate a Festival of Denial
from the republicunts and their energy company leash holders!

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2013092...QG0G2.html

Quote: STOCKHOLM (AP) - Scientists now believe it's "extremely likely" that human activity is the dominant cause of global warming, a long-term trend that is clear despite a recent plateau in the temperatures, an international climate panel said Friday.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change used its strongest language yet in a report on the causes of climate change, prompting calls for global action to control emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

"If this isn't an alarm bell, then I don't know what one is. If ever there were an issue that demanded greater cooperation, partnership, and committed diplomacy, this is it," said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

The IPCC, which has 195 member countries, adopted the report Friday after all-night talks at a meeting in Stockholm.

In its previous assessment, in 2007, the U.N.-sponsored panel said it was "very likely" that global warming was due to human activity, particularly the CO2 emissions resulting from the burning of coal, oil and gas.

The change means that scientists have moved from being 90 percent sure to 95 percent - about the same degree of certainty they have that smoking kills.

It will be news to the fascist wing of the party that "smoking kills" as well.
RE: Anticipate a Festival of Denial
5%...plenty of wiggle room. Not that I approve of the wiggling.
You know, I've read the previous IPCC report, it doesn't leave much room for anyone claiming it's not manmade.

Even if they manage that, the IPCC is quite clear that interventions need to take place or shit is happening.
If you think the government shutdown over healthcare is bad, wait til the government decides to actually do something about global warming1
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero