Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, Why,Why!
Why, Why,Why!
I do not understand why some theists come on with bullshit like Pascal's wager and go all you just don't wanna believe! When you refute their argument
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Why, Why,Why!
Usually because their own faith is so fragile that they're desperate to find some way, any way, to justify it to themselves. That or they need their daily fix of smug.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Pascal's Wager because it makes sense if you already subscribe to Christianity ("I'm soooo glad I made the right choice") and "You just don't want to believe" because they have an incredibly hard time trying to figure out why not everyone is happy to swallow the "good news" Kool Aid like they are. Either way, they get their daily dose of smug.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I find that the answer to the OP usually comes down to the fact that they are as dumb as a bag of cunt hair.
I think Pascal's wager is uniquely applicable to Christianity. Only their god is a big enough dick to punish something like "not believing".
(October 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I find that the answer to the OP usually comes down to the fact that they are as dumb as a bag of cunt hair.

I wonder if Michele Bachmann understands this means her shorn hair is still smarter than she is. :p
(October 2, 2013 at 2:06 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote:
(October 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I find that the answer to the OP usually comes down to the fact that they are as dumb as a bag of cunt hair.

I wonder if Michele Bachmann understands this means her shorn hair is still smarter than she is. :p

Michell bachman understands; is a oxymoron
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 2, 2013 at 2:09 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(October 2, 2013 at 2:06 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: I wonder if Michele Bachmann understands this means her shorn hair is still smarter than she is. :p

Michell bachmanunderstands; is a oxymoron

I found the hidden message! Yeay me!
To answer the OP:

I don't know, I don't know and I don't know.

I get the feeling when they appear on the forum they genuinely think that they will be the first person ever to launch these arguments and that we will all be floored by them.
(October 2, 2013 at 2:19 am)max-greece Wrote: I get the feeling when they appear on the forum they genuinely think that they will be the first person ever to launch these arguments and that we will all be floored by them.

Which is really funny to imagine from their perspective. Big Grin

As to "you just don't want to believe!"... It's the last ditch attempt to keep their beliefs safe from interference. Christianity has no new arguments, and by the time that old chestnut has been trotted out, all the ones they've brought to the table have not only been refused, but outright dissected and found to be faulty on every level. Argumentation has failed, but that faith germ has them real sick, and so the only thing left to be done is the one thing that cannot be argued against, because there's no argument in it. Just dismissal.

And so they recast the entire conversation they've just lost in their head, turning themselves back into enlightened and moral bringers of the truth, and the atheists who just trashed them into liars who represented themselves as willing to learn while actually hating christianity.

They didn't just lose, oh no! You're mistaken! It's really that there's something wrong with you!
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!