Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundamentalists and Biblical Inerrantists Don't Respect the Bible
Fundamentalists and Biblical Inerrantists Don't Respect the Bible
As a former fundamentalist Christian, I've come to realize that despite the fact that Biblical inerrantists place such stock in the Bible, they do not respect it. A clear demonstration of this, to me, is the tacit admission by them that for the Bible to be of value and contain wisdom, it must be without error throughout and literally true (aside from things like parables and such), thus demonstrating its divine origin. I find this absurd a bad way to treat ancient texts. Are the Homeric epics worthless because they probably weren't written by a 'Homer' and didn't actually happen? Or any other ancient text?
RE: Fundamentalists and Biblical Inerrantists Don't Respect the Bible
Fundamentalists are cherry-pickers, sharing the good of the Bible and coming up with ridiculous re-interpretations to cover the bad. It's like the xtian idea that good things happen because of God, and bad things because of man. If I knew any ancient Greek I'd go back and try to re-interperet the good things in the Bible, to show that if you work at it, you can make anything sound the way you want it to. E.g., make "Thou shalt not kill" mean "Thou shalt not intend to harm the lives of others." I'm sure the commandments could be greatly re-interpreted, but xtians will never touch them, like they will the geneologies of Matthew and Luke, which are irrefutably Joseph's family histories, but you'll never convince a fundamentalist of that. They'll just believe whatever works best for them.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
Bats ain't birds. Nuff said.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If Fundies cared about the Bible, they would not be so outwardly against people living their lives contrary to Biblical values nor would they to force their beliefs onto people who don't want any of it.....yes you can actually use the Bible against them when they do so.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can fundamentalists be funny? Fake Messiah 15 1643 August 26, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8382 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3790 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7600 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22485 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  What do fundamentalists think about moderates? Der/die AtheistIn 29 5791 September 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7908 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 126027 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Biblical Account of the Creation - A new look RonaldMcRaygun 10 2985 March 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3634 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama