Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does OP stand for?
Brick 
What does OP stand for?
So I'm pretty new to forums.
And I don't know all the jargon and abbreviations yet. So what does OP stand for? I know it's going to be clear as crystal and I'll feel stupid for asking once you answer but, nothing ventured nothing gained so there it is.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
RE: What does OP stand for?
It either means "original post" or "original poster" depending on the context. Eg: "OP asked what OP means." or ... "Read the OP and try again." etc
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(October 24, 2013 at 3:05 am)Owlix Wrote: So I'm pretty new to forums.
And I don't know all the jargon and abbreviations yet. So what does OP stand for? I know it's going to be clear as crystal and I'll feel stupid for asking once you answer but, nothing ventured nothing gained so there it is.

Like Aractus said. It refers to the first post on the thread or the person that made that post, depending on context.
Otter Pop.

It's an insult, obviously.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
No way, Otter Pops were the funnest thing ever when I was a kid.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
My favorites were the red, blue and pink ones
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
Context is key. For example, if Minimalist starts the thread, OP stands for "Old Poopiepants."
(October 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm)John V Wrote: Context is key. For example, if Minimalist starts the thread, OP stands for "Old Poopiepants."

That or Over Pwnage.
In the gaming world, OP means Over Powered.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
It is clear to me that this thread is an OP (obvious ploy) to cause forum members to OP (open publicly) about what OP (obnoxious people) they are. OP (obligating priories) prevent me from OP (outwardly participating) in the thread idea the OP (original poster) had in mind. Thanks though, and remember to always kick the shins of OP (old priests), those dirty OP (oral practitioners). That's it. now I'm OP (outta puns).