Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Corinthians 10:31
1 Corinthians 10:31
Bible Wrote:So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

I do not know if I understand this verse correctly or not, but it really disturbs me. How iI interpet it is basically saying that one must should live their whole life for god, in a manner that gives glory to him. Now before I go any further I'd like to say that moderation is definitely a good thing, but after reading this verse I cannot help but find that this makes god seem petty, selfish, and jealous.
What kind of a human would I be if I asked this of my children?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: 1 Corinthians 10:31
Eating and drinking leads to shitting and pissing. "God" can have that.
(October 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I do not know if I understand this verse correctly or not, but it really disturbs me. How iI interpet it is basically saying that one must should live their whole life for god, in a manner that gives glory to him. Now before I go any further I'd like to say that moderation is definitely a good thing, but after reading this verse I cannot help but find that this makes god seem petty, selfish, and jealous.
I cannot help but find it petty, selfish and jealous for a created being to compare itself to its creator.
Devil's (Jeses') advocate here. In context...

It's not about groveling at god's feet, it's about not being polluted by the world. It's actually meant as an admonishment to discourage non-believers from their idolatrous ways by not participating in their idol feasts.

1 Corinthians 10:27-32 (NIV)

27 If an unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, both for the sake of the one who told you and for the sake of conscience. 29 I am referring to the other person’s conscience, not yours. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? 30 If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?
31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—

Just to answer the part you say you may not understand.
There's different ways to interpret that passage.

It could easily interpreted to mean that by living by god's laws in all you do, you give glory to him.
It has to do with the relationship between the Creator and the created. God does not need us to be happy or content. But God, because of his position, knows what actions are best, and so doing actions that "please" God are actions that are best.

If you ask your child to behave in class and listen to the teacher, it makes you happy to hear that they have been doing so. But your happiness does not completely rely on your child's behavior in class. You ask your child to do this because you know it is best.
". . . let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist." -G. K. Chesterton
(October 28, 2013 at 4:05 pm)John V Wrote:
(October 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: I do not know if I understand this verse correctly or not, but it really disturbs me. How iI interpet it is basically saying that one must should live their whole life for god, in a manner that gives glory to him. Now before I go any further I'd like to say that moderation is definitely a good thing, but after reading this verse I cannot help but find that this makes god seem petty, selfish, and jealous.
I cannot help but find it petty, selfish and jealous for a created being to compare itself to its creator.
That would be the course, however since you have offered any evidence thatthis being is in any way real, I am forced to judge him as a character.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: That would be the course, however since you have offered any evidence thatthis being is in any way real, I am forced to judge him as a character.
Who's forcing you?
I had a fundy friend claim that everything we do has to praise God. So I said, "Does that mean if I go take a shit, it has to praise God? 'What a great shit I just had, praise Jesus!'"
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Bong all for his glory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where is everybody when it comes to 1 Corinthians 7:3-5? IanHulett 77 8210 July 7, 2015 at 2:31 am
Last Post: robvalue