Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Soloist Singer
The Soloist Singer
In many church'es I have attended there always seams to be what is known as a 'Praise Band' generally these are people who are evangelical enough to want to play a 'Guitar' in public. There are also at times other instruments such as the all famous 'Base Guitar' and 'Drums'.

People in the praise band do away with Liturgical Music and bring in a new era of Idol worship in that if you are a member of the praise band you are on par with a Local Celebrity.

The main gripe I have is that in many churches there is generally 1 or 2 people who sing. Again I do not have problems with Choirs because they all sing generally in Unison and have allot of expression as a group.

My main Gripe is that in these churches there is generally some young Teenager who is pushed by her/him parents into signing. As such there are events where this teenager sings completely on their own.

Now when I was a Christian I felt very strongly about Idol worship, I felt that the Bible said that it was wrong so having one young Teen stand up and sing and then to receive a standing ovation turns the Bibles teaching on its head.

Sure this Teenager can sing about Godly things but what aspect of being Godly requires them to dress provocatively, hire professional equipment and have makeup to sing a humble - 'In Christ Alone'.

This type of thing seriously pisses me off to no extent, Again this Soloist is treated like God and generally Goes out with the Ministers Son or Daughter (e.g. The Child of the Manse) which is a title to mean that these children are some how superior to everyone else.

These Children hate that title as they are humble and don't expect to be given a special status.

I do really dislike the Idol Worship In Churches. Some jumped up teenager thinking that they have what it takes to be on Britians got talent.

What do you think? -- Have you experienced this?

-- My Two Cents
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: The Soloist Singer
I was a Christian praise band leader in three separate churches over a span of seven years. People join praise bands for many different reasons. It is true that there is a measure of what I would have at one time called ‘idol worship’ within some individuals and even within some entire sets. I’ll return to the idol worship bit in a moment. I joined the first band immediately following my conversion as a way of integrating into the community. I love to sing and I have a pretty good voice, so I thought that the band would be a place where I would readily be able to plug my talents into serving the church. I was instantaneously accepted by the band and the congregation, and I got my first taste of Christian ‘fame’. I regularly received accolades from church members for my ‘beautiful voice’, and I was asked to lead the band with guitar and vocals. As a new Christian I had no idea what worship was, and I was unprepared for leadership while still so new to the faith. I’ll cut this part of the story short and just say that I learned a lot about motives and desires while serving on the team, my own, as well as those of people applying to join the band. I stayed in that band for two years, and when it was time to move on, I left that church.

On to the next church. By now I had been a Christian long enough to know the ins and outs of the business. I knew who’s ass to kiss to get what I wanted, and what I wanted was to be in the band. It seems that my former experience had borne something within me that now required recognition and attention, and rather than praising Jesus, I sought praise for myself. Once again, my voice stands out, and I am approached by the band leader who asks me if I’d like to try out for the (worship) team. Are you seeing a pattern here? Once accepted by the team, I rapidly progressed to leadership, and I was again asked to lead with vocals. By now my head was huge and my ego was soaring, and I was the savior of the band again. I lead that band alongside the pastor’s scantily-clad 20 year-old daughter with her bouncing boobs and stretch pants for three years before I had to quit. I could not stand how much of a performance the whole thing was for everyone involved. From the pastor making musical cues he was unskilled in, to band members bickering over strum patterns and harmonies, to the general sense of ‘this is just a band’ and it has nothing to do with Jesus except the lyrical content. I was finished.

A few more years and another church later I was at it again. The third story is nearly identical to the two former stories, so I’ll spare you all the details. It is sufficient to say that I was faking it most of the time I was involved in the church bands, and for my part, there was little to no reverence toward anything other than my warm salt water gargles. Am I saying that all people in all church bands are like I was? No. But I will solemnly report that most, if not all of my fellow band members, singers, directors, and musicians, were in it for themselves and their own glory.

As for the ‘idol worship’ bit, I think it boils down to simply being a matter of nature. It is the bible that calls such things ‘idols’ and labels them as sin. We atheists are without sin, as we reject the concept offhand. Perhaps for a Christian it is an idol, and for me it was, but now I see it as human nature. Was my behavior ugly? Yes. But I will no longer squelch my humanity in submission to a deity that calls my nature sinful or idolatrous. Instead, I now have the freedom to decide for myself if my behavior was inappropriate, and to make necessary adjustments. No guilt - just progress and forward motion. What a petty god that needs to bury mankind in the mire of its own wickedness and fear.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The pattern I alluded to is the fact that little to no background investigation was done on me prior to being invited to participate in something the church considers a vital spiritual action known as ‘worship’. The church is more desperate for worldly things than the ’things of god’ on any given day - they just can’t see it. After all, a great singer makes them look good. Why bother finding out if someone is genuine? Overall I found church band members to be prideful and selfish. The only church band I found to be bigger narcissists than the worship teams were the pastors and administrators, or as I like to call them, the Gestapo.

Had to post these...ROFLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RJBd8zE4...EAWPcbTw8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEAWPcbTw8k
"You're not making Christianity better, you're making rock worse!" - Hank Hill
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
@freedomfromfallacy - thanks for this, I have a load more topics to raise over the next few weeks / months that are the things that generally pissed me off about Christianity but was never allowed to speak it out.

I hope to hear more from you and others - For a start you have confirmed my own opinion of what praise bands were all about. I knew it deep down but people in praise bands never wanted to speak to me so I didnt know their darker side. But I had suspicions
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nergal: Polish metal singer accused of blasphemy appeals for legal funds zebo-the-fat 0 492 February 25, 2021 at 9:44 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat