Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:32 pm

Poll: Which option best describes your behavior?
This poll is closed.
I sometimes look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I like the way I look.
0%
0 0%
I sometimes look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I don't like the way I look.
4.55%
1 4.55%
I rarely look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I don't like the way I look.
4.55%
1 4.55%
I rarely look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I think I look just fine.
4.55%
1 4.55%
I usually look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I feel compelled to do so.
13.64%
3 13.64%
I almost never look at myself in a pane of window glass as I pass by it because I feel confident and secure.
22.73%
5 22.73%
I'm unaware whether or not I exhibit this behavior.
18.18%
4 18.18%
Any other possible response *
31.82%
7 31.82%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's Looking At You.
Question 
Here's Looking At You.
On my free days I spend a fair amount of time walking throughout my neighborhood. I love people watching, and I cannot avoid noticing all of the many ways people use their body language to communicate. I have observed a particular behavior pattern which demonstrates some commonalities among varying and apparently diverse groups. I have noticed that most people (80% according to two personally conducted recent studies) will look at their reflection in a pane of window glass as they pass by it. I am curious if anyone is willing to tell on themselves here. The poll I have posted provides data for no other reason than satisfying a curiosity of my own. I appreciate everyone who cares to participate. To be fair I will answer the poll myself by responding to option #6.

* If you answer #8, then please explain your reasoning in this thread. Thank you Smile

EDIT: This is not a public poll, which means neither I, nor other regular members can view the identities of members who responded to the poll.
RE: Here's Looking At You.
I never thought about it, FFF. I have a few memories of being startled by my own reflection when running downtown, but I think I mostly either don't notice my reflection or don't notice that I'm noticing it.

How do you know they're looking at themselves and not through the window? Is it only a reflective window?
(October 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm)Zazzy Wrote: How do you know they're looking at themselves and not through the window?

I am sure that some people are looking through the window at whatever may be displayed there. Body language often provides ample cues toward making a determination one way or another.

(October 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Is it only a reflective window?

Not necessarily so, but it could include mirrored or dark tint glass surfaces.
I almost always look at myself in ANY reflective surface, because I don't have eyes that can pull apart from my body and look me all over (especially including my eyes).

Nonpublic polls are just no fun Tongue I wouldn't worry too much about that shit, brah.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'd have to change glasses. Can't be bothered.
I am confident and secure in the person I am.

That's not to say I don't ever look at my reflection where ever it turns up, but I don't seek those things just to see how I appear.

Today was a different day though. Halloween, and one of the few days I'm not required to wear my work uniform. I was in a costume I'm entirely unfamiliar with. Also I was wearing a cute little tophat. So when I was looking at some sort of reflective surface, (computer screen, copy machine glass, etc) I did notice how very different my profile was from what it usually is. So that did make me look again.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
I wouldn't know. My reflection walks away whenever I stop to look at it. Next time I look, it comes back.

Never found out what it does while it's away, but sometimes, I hear a faint screaming from inside mirrors...
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
When you're good looking its in poor taste to look at your reflection in a public place.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I sometimes look at a reflective surface in passing, to see how I look, not because I like or dislike the way I look.
(November 1, 2013 at 2:04 am)Sejanus Wrote: I sometimes look at a reflective surface in passing, to see how I look, not because I like or dislike the way I look.

The conclusion is formed immediately after the data retrieval. Wink

We then do it over and over and over again, to see if we can't reproduce identical results. #science!
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day