Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching everyone how to think...
Teaching everyone how to think...
What a great world it would be if everyone thought as Socrates did.

The greatest virtue is intellectual honesty. Being aware of one's ignorance, and not pretending to knowledge. Thanks to Whateverist sharing a fantastic video with me the other day, I've been browsing TED Talks quite frequently.

I've recently been re-reading some old Plato dialogues, and have recaptured that initial precocious spark that enriched my journey into an examined life. This video is merely an example of how one person could possibly make an impact. But, the world at large is afraid.

They are afraid of facing the parts of their life that are being supported by false knowledge. Think of the ways you can impact others that haven't been exposed to the teachings of Plato, Socrates, Hume and others.

"A man does not seek that which he thinks he already has."
-Socrates

People that think they have the truth, stop looking. They think they have the answers, and that ends the intellectual journey of thought.

I'll get off my soap box now... Have an awesome day!

RE: Teaching everyone how to think...
(November 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: People that think they have the truth, stop looking. They think they have the answers, and that ends the intellectual journey of thought.

The problem with quotes like this is that they can be used by both theists and atheists to state that the other is lacking.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 1, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Maelstrom Wrote:
(November 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: People that think they have the truth, stop looking. They think they have the answers, and that ends the intellectual journey of thought.

The problem with quotes like this is that they can be used by both theists and atheists to state that the other is lacking.

Yes. But what separates the delusional from those that misconstrue reality, is a willingness to change ones position in the light of new information. Those that are convinced that God answers all of their questions turn a blind eye to more explanatory data. The quest for knowledge is never ending and faith is an artificial sign saying "end of the road". The moment we think we've found the end is the moment our internal alarm should sound off, alerting us that we've fallen victim to intellectual dishonesty. People of faith are not open to the criticism of their ideas because faith is a pacifier for ignorance. It's the end of the road for intellectual discovery. People that attempt to spin what I've said in favor of their flawed epistemology are incapable of grasping the bulk of the text that Plato surrounded those words with. Let them misinterpret the meaning of those words, but don't let their misunderstanding prevent you from teaching the right way to everyone else!

(I sound like a preacher) #IRONY

The honesty lies in the acknowledgement that we are all lacking.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Yes! Have a kudos!

Quote from Maelstrom that earned him my rep:

Positive (+1): For this "according to the theist, one only truly knows scripture and how it is properly interpreted if one has his head up god's ass"

Just thought it loosely tied into this topic on "knowledge"
It was my love of science that led me to what I now know as truth. Kind of an unintended consequence. My common sense (upon learning some of the things I have) gets the better of me.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
I think one of the greatest indicators of intellectual honesty is a level of uncertainity when it comes to the bigger questions life poses. Be it theist or atheist, I find it very refreshing when someone understands that their beliefs and conclusions are not dogmatic truths to be adhered to despite mounting evidence to the contrary.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

True, but I've never heard an atheist say that they would refuse to change their mind if new information were available. It's always the theists who claim that their holy book is right because it is unchanging while science is always changing. That should tell you who that quote is really talking about.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote:
(November 1, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: The problem with quotes like this is that they can be used by both theists and atheists to state that the other is lacking.

Yes. But what separates the delusional from those that misconstrue reality, is a willingness to change ones position in the light of new information. Those that are convinced that God answers all of their questions turn a blind eye to more explanatory data. The quest for knowledge is never ending and faith is an artificial sign saying "end of the road". The moment we think we've found the end is the moment our internal alarm should sound off, alerting us that we've fallen victim to intellectual dishonesty. People of faith are not open to the criticism of their ideas because faith is a pacifier for ignorance. It's the end of the road for intellectual discovery. People that attempt to spin what I've said in favor of their flawed epistemology are incapable of grasping the bulk of the text that Plato surrounded those words with. Let them misinterpret the meaning of those words, but don't let their misunderstanding prevent you from teaching the right way to everyone else!

(I sound like a preacher) #IRONY
I don't think it's really true that all religious people, and only religious people, are willfully ignorant and refuse to adapt their ideas to new evidence. When viewed as a doctrinal body, science, philosophy, and religion have ALL evolved over the years: but that doesn't mean the ideas of any particular individual or population of individuals has evolved.

Many scientists have fought to their dying day to prove that new ideas (even if coming from new observations) are false. On the other hand, many religious people, even Christians, have evolved their ideas. There are even observant Christians who see much of the Bible as metaphor and mythology, and fully embrace science of all kinds.

In general, I'd say there's religion, and then there's fucktardism. In America, those two have an almost perfect correlation, so you see them as the same. However, in many countries, people are much more open to actually thinking about religion instead of blind "faith."
I live in America, and I agree bennyboy. As a country we're religion bound even if it kills us all. Who gives us fuck because at least then we're with Jesus.

Stupid idiots.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.