Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for logic.
Looking for logic.
So I am currently a Catholic, and I am trying to question my religion. I've been watching scientific shows explaining the big bang and all of these things that explain where we all come from. Now the real question i have to you guys. I am really trying to find logic in my religion, and I will believe proof over faith any day, even if it disproves my religion. I understand the road to finding where i belong in the world religion-wise can be a very long road. Is there ANY good videos/resources I could use for questioning? I am keeping a very open mind during this. Thank you all for the help.
RE: Looking for logic.
(November 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm)Ring0 Wrote: So I am currently a Catholic, and I am trying to question my religion. I've been watching scientific shows explaining the big bang and all of these things that explain where we all come from. Now the real question i have to you guys. I am really trying to find logic in my religion, and I will believe proof over faith any day, even if it disproves my religion. Is there ANY good videos/resources I could use for questioning? I am keeping a very open mind during this. Thank you all for the help.

You list yourself as Buddhist next to your avatar.

Actually I would recommend some books.

1. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
2. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger
3. The End Of Faith, Sam Harris
4. God Is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
5. Infidel, Ayaan Hersi Ali
Right, I meant to add Catholic as well, will do. Thank you. I've been attending a Buddhist temple to experiment with religion.

I would also like to thank you for the resources.
The bible.
(November 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm)Ring0 Wrote: So I am currently a Catholic, and I am trying to question my religion. I've been watching scientific shows explaining the big bang and all of these things that explain where we all come from. Now the real question i have to you guys. I am really trying to find logic in my religion, and I will believe proof over faith any day, even if it disproves my religion. I understand the road to finding where i belong in the world religion-wise can be a very long road. Is there ANY good videos/resources I could use for questioning? I am keeping a very open mind during this. Thank you all for the help.

Do you require that your faith be disproven before you're willing to discard it?

Test the claims of your faith against the claims of any similar faith. If you do so objectively, it won't take you long to realize that none of them stand out in any way. Then, you can ask yourself why you should hold on to any specific faith when they possess the same objective value.
Thank you guys for the feedback.
Quote:So I am currently a Catholic, and I am trying to question my religion.

That shouldn't be hard.
There's loads of videos on youtube, shouldn't take too long to find what you're looking for. The God Delusion is more of a 'beginners guide' to atheism.

If there's anything in particular you have questions about, there are some incredibly knowledgeable people on this forum - on both sides.

I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever it turns out to be Smile
(November 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Ring0 Wrote: Right, I meant to add Catholic as well, will do. Thank you. I've been attending a Buddhist temple to experiment with religion.

I would also like to thank you for the resources.

Let me save you some time. Religion isn't something you "experiment" with. When people say that all they are doing is trying to fill a void, not seek truth. Having a sense of belonging to a community does not mean that what that community centers it's beliefs around is true. The ancient Egyptians built ornate monuments and tombs to their gods and centered their society around the false belief that the sun was a god.

Buddhism isn't special either. There history is just as much full of pretty words and nice motifs as with any culture. And the orient has not been free from war or tribalism in its history either.

It merely means if you fall for it, you merely like it because it appeals to you.

Nothing good or bad in our species history is the invention of a religion, it is merely part of our range of human behavior we have always been capable of. Our evolution has always produced compassion and cruelty and having a religion does not change that.

People are good in spite of religion, not because of it.

I'd seriously suggest you read The God Delusion, . And The New Atheism(scientifically address god belief) and delves, in one chapter into the common motifs of religions of the orient as well.
What your questioning of religion- done objectively and keeping a keen eye on what mainstream science says in the process- will do, is reveal that there is no evidence for any religion, at any point. The entirety of religious argumentation boils down to bare assertions, arguments from ignorance, and holes poked in legitimate science, as though that somehow proves god.

This should be the main reason you abandon such religions.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 757 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5491 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 26996 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150508 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4551 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14432 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54829 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 7386 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 34566 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  What is your Opinion on Having Required Classes in Logic in Schools? Salacious B. Crumb 43 9154 August 4, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: BitchinHitchins