Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irrational thinking in mathemathics
Irrational thinking in mathemathics
My thread about "atheism and irrational thinking" is not an invetion of my own but a theory issued by a well known biologist ,professor Leibowitz who wrote a book about it saying that the brain of humans is "split"in two :one part deals with rational thinking in the real world of mesurable quantities and the other with immesurable entitys .
Both worlds are a result of physical activity of the brain amd by that part of the evolution of human mankind,
Whereas in the rational world two objects can not be in just the same place in one and the same time ,the irrational world does not have such laws.
Humans are constantly thinking both ways.
Now there are in mathematics notions of irratoinality and even of immaginary,we have leaned them in High school.
For example square root of 3 is an irrational number.
Square root from -1 is an immaginary number.
Now pay attention ,both numbers have a fundamental function in electricity. Do eliminate one of them and the food in your frige will rot away.Big Grin
RE: Irrational thinking in mathemathics
Is this split between rational and irrational thinking anyway similar to the split between monist and dualist thinking?
(October 11, 2008 at 7:41 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Is this split between rational and irrational thinking anyway similar to the split between monist and dualist thinking?

No definitely not. Dualist thinking means to believe in the exitence of a
soul as an independent entity separated from the body.
Atheism denies the existence of the soul as an expression of religious belief.
That does not mean that the human brain as part of the body is programmed only to rational thinking -it would not have any reason.
On the contrary one of of the features of the human brain as the ultimate link in the evolution of life on earth is it's capacity to reason in both ways rational and irrational.
Look inside your mind and you will find a lot of thoughts which are contrary to any reasonal thinking,especially those related to feelings
as hope ,hatred ,love,belief in fate (if you still believe) and so on.
In my opinion the creation of God by man is a result of irrational thinking and that's why I repeat this argument in various threads.
Well...I think there are two types of atheist...

Atheist means someone who does not believe in God...a soul is a different matter. (I don't believe in a soul though).

The second definition is athiest doesn't believe in anything supernatural...not just Gods...I'm in this group.

Well I think that because your thoughts are memes...some survive better than others....and sometimes the rational thoughts survivie...sadly sometimes the delusional ones do.

I'd say you can only find what's rational by realising what's irrational...you have to distinguish between the two.
[qoute)

I'd say you can only find what's rational by realising what's irrational...you have to distinguish between the two.
[/quote]

OK.That's what I am saying all the time:our brain is programmed by evolution for both types of thinking rational and irrational.
Nothing to do with the so called "soul".
Your analogy with memes migt be right :in the pool of rational memes are also irrational ones which as the genetic drift theory says are there
by mere randomness.
If this is true than it sustains my other crazy idea that causality and randomness are intertwinned laws of nature.
Irrational thinking in my opiniom is the basic layer of belief in supranatural forces with God as a particularization of this belief,
As usual...my disagreements are often semantic misunderstandings and it looks like we mostly agree anyway...

I'd agree with Dawkins that faith is an important part of our belief system because it helps (or atleast used to help) people's children obey them...and not hurt themselves etc...

Also I'd agree with Dawkins that 'God' is some sort of misfiring by-product of evolution. Just like how moths killing themselves on lamps is a misfiring by-product of an otherwise rational attribute.