Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aloha! New with a big question!
Aloha! New with a big question!
Aloha Everyone! I won't make my story/introduction too long, I'll try for short and sweet. My name is Amanda, I'm 31. I live on and island....ah, love! Never been baptized, went to church randomly growing up with some family and some friends up until I was about 15.......none of it EVER clicked for me, not even for a second. Every time I went to church with anyone, I left with the feeling that I was going to hell, for sure, no questions asked, and not because I was "bad" but because I wasn't one of them, I wasn't "saved." I tried to have it make sense and be open to the possibilities, still nothing ever panned out. I suppose I even kept things "somewhat open" up until last week. I knew how I've felt for the last 20 years or so, and now I've solidifying it completely. No ifs ands or buts....plain and simple, I don't believe in it at all, I know this.

So now that years have passed for me since reading randomly throughout bibles and littles bits here and there of church, I feel like I'm in a place to better understand the bible, and actually read the damn thing. I want to read it. Problem is, which one!!!!!!!!

BIG QUESTION: Which bible is the one that hasn't been completely jacked with. I'd rather go all original (obviously I know it's not original, but ya know) but there are waaaay too many. I've even tried to research it and can't come up with which one. I'd appreciate any help if possible!

Many Mahalos!
RE: Aloha! New with a big question!
Hi from the biggest island of all.
Badger

Short answer to your question is no.
There is no such thing as the original bible.
All extant versions are copies, mistranslations or plagiarisms of other copies, mistranslations or plagiarisms and so on and so forth.
Which I've always thought weird, since you would think god would take extra care to make sure his perfect message to humanity would be immune to human error.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Hmmm... Not jacked with? Since the whole damned thing is basically a work of fiction it's going to be hard to find one that hasn't been jacked with.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
What Zen said.

Welcome!

And what Pappy said Smile
The earliest xtian bibles are the Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaiticus. Both have significant differences to what passes for a "bible" today.

Read Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted."
(November 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm)MandaMaui Wrote: So now that years have passed for me since reading randomly throughout bibles and littles bits here and there of church, I feel like I'm in a place to better understand the bible, and actually read the damn thing. I want to read it. Problem is, which one!!!!!!!!

BIG QUESTION: Which bible is the one that hasn't been completely jacked with. I'd rather go all original (obviously I know it's not original, but ya know) but there are waaaay too many. I've even tried to research it and can't come up with which one. I'd appreciate any help if possible!

Many Mahalos!
Hi and welcome. The simple answer, though the above idiots refuse to admit it, is that none are "completely jacked with". Not even the NWT is "completely jacked with".

I'd avoid the Catholic translations - or any translations that favour "the septuagint" in any way (JB, NJB, etc). If you want to avoid translations that are more "loose" with the translation style, then avoid NIV, NLT and MSG, and instead read ESV, NRSV, HCSB, or even the NKJV.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Yeah, I hear ya guys. I guess I just feel the need to read the book. Blows my mind that there's a million versions, just another reason I find it so ridiculous. I guess what I was going for was the book that has been less tainted with. Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated Smile
I would definitely read the SAB, Skeptics Annotated Bible. It is certainly more enjoyable and you'll actually finish it instead of nodding off as on the others..

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Quote:that none are "completely jacked with"

But all are jacked off.
(November 9, 2013 at 9:59 pm)Aractus Wrote:
(November 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm)MandaMaui Wrote: So now that years have passed for me since reading randomly throughout bibles and littles bits here and there of church, I feel like I'm in a place to better understand the bible, and actually read the damn thing. I want to read it. Problem is, which one!!!!!!!!

Many Mahalos!
Hi and welcome. The simple answer, though the above idiots refuse to admit it, is that none are "completely jacked with". Not even the NWT is "completely jacked with".

I'd avoid the Catholic translations - or any translations that favour "the septuagint" in any way (JB, NJB, etc). If you want to avoid translations that are more "loose" with the translation style, then avoid NIV, NLT and MSG, and instead read ESV, NRSV, HCSB, or even the NKJV.

"Those idiots"......
If you would be good enough to show how we are incorrect in what we said Danny that would be great.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aloha Haipule 28 3022 November 12, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Some big changes as of late... phoenix31 26 2008 January 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Big Bad Dumb Christian checking in... O_o bambi_swag 49 6451 October 2, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  New to the forums; question about parents jpphilologist 10 2455 March 2, 2014 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  New New New Quid 23 4720 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman