Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invisibility Cloak
Invisibility Cloak
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...132627.htm

Quote:Beyond obvious applications, such as hiding military vehicles or conducting surveillance operations, this cloaking technology could eliminate obstacles -- for example, structures interrupting signals from cellular base stations could be cloaked to allow signals to pass by freely. The system can also alter the signature of a cloaked object, making it appear bigger, smaller, or even shifting it in space. And though their tests showed the cloaking system works with radio waves, re-tuning it to work with Terahertz (T-rays) or light waves could use the same principle as the necessary antenna technology matures.
"There are more applications for radio than for light," says Eleftheriades. "It's just a matter of technology -- you can use the same principle for light, and the corresponding antenna technology is a very hot area of research."

I don't understand too much physics, but I think the concept is to create waves around the object to mask the waves the object is creating. It works with radiowaves now and they're saying one day it'll work with light waves, which shouldn't be too difficult, right? It's just a different wavelength ..? Would be great if someone who knows more about these things could share their educated guess/opinions Big Grin.

(Besides the obvious reasons, I really hope this works so I can say I graduated from the school that invented the invisibility cloak)
RE: Invisibility Cloak
Invisibility cloak? I'll believe THAT when I see it.
(November 19, 2013 at 12:10 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Invisibility cloak? I'll believe THAT when I see it.
I see what you did there. Wink
Did you see what I did here?
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(November 19, 2013 at 12:16 am)Darkstar Wrote:
(November 19, 2013 at 12:10 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Invisibility cloak? I'll believe THAT when I see it.
I see what you did there. Wink

Kudos whoring?

Yes.
(November 19, 2013 at 12:20 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(November 19, 2013 at 12:16 am)Darkstar Wrote: I see what you did there. Wink

Kudos whoring?

Yes.
[Image: hD8981ED8]
I forgot you could see it when quoting! (and the color no longer matches the quote background)

Kudos whoring? Previous post no. This post...maybe a smidgen? (a tiny smidgen)
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I meant me. Big Grin
The mayor there should really entertain volunteering as a test subject, eh?

Booo! Hissss!

Devil
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 19, 2013 at 3:30 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: The mayor there should really entertain volunteering as a test subject, eh?

Right, the train wreck that somehow manages to keep getting worse.
(November 19, 2013 at 12:07 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: I don't understand too much physics, but I think the concept is to create waves around the object to mask the waves the object is creating. It works with radiowaves now and they're saying one day it'll work with light waves, which shouldn't be too difficult, right? It's just a different wavelength ..? Would be great if someone who knows more about these things could share their educated guess/opinions Big Grin.
Why yes, it should work for light - if by this you mean electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. Radio waves are pretty much the same as visible light, just with a much larger wavelength.