Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholarslip: A documentary about the student debt crisis
Scholarslip: A documentary about the student debt crisis
I just watched this documentary and it changed my entire view of college. To be more specific, student loans. Graduating from college with thousands of dollars in debt seems and will be a nightmare to me. It's unfortunate I was born into a "poor" family and that I'm on my own when it comes to paying for college. Not going is definitely not an option, for I need a bachelors to become a fighter pilot in the military. The only thing that's going to get in the way of that is death. I'm not really at a crossroads, but it's actually frightening to think of life for myself in 2020, which is my estimated graduation date. I know the government can't be fixed over night, OK? It seems like the people in charge just don't give a fuck. More attention should paid to those who actually care about their future and want to become something better. There will come a time where the U.S is no longer on top, and one of the reasons will be because of the lack of attention paid to those college students engulfed in debt and without a decent enough paying job to live comfortable. Parents should be concerned for their children's future because the government has simply ceased their interest in bettering our economy. You can preach this employment/unemployment rate bullshit until jesus comes back, but does that really mean anything when those with a job still require government assistance?( When I graduate I'll be enlisting in the Marines, and they don't pay back student loans, so by default, I'll have to out of my own salary. If my calculations are correct, my estimated salary would be around $30,000. I'm uninformed to how the military pay thingamajig works, so excuse me for being so ignorant.) A year at the college I hope to get accepted into (and attend) has a tuition of nearly $30,000. That's fucking insane. I'd love to know where my money will be going. Be advised that I haven't applied for scholarships and haven't received and grants, so the amount I may end up borrowing is still a mystery. I'm just confused as to why there isn't anyone standing up for us post, and soon to be college students who are/will be the victim of this heartless bastard named Debt. The least they could do is make it easier for us to become employed, since it's likely we'll end up on government assistance, but I guess that ties in with us living in a shit economy where the poor stay poor and the rich get richer, often at the expense of the poor. I actually thought this guy Obama would change shit and make it easier for everyone in the country to live, but I guess I was misled. I'm not sure how I'll get through this, but I'm eager to find out how it'll all end. Hopefully we're all around when it's over and I can share my experience with you all.

For those who might want to know, this is the documentary

Same sex divorce should be outlawed. #StopTheGays
RE: Scholarslip: A documentary about the student debt crisis
Why would you join the military? Why would you die for some politician who says you should to support their agenda? I couldn't think of a worse job. Personally, I think all military organisations should be abolished. After all, who needs a military force if no-one else has one? Also, all weapons of war should be destroyed.
Do you mean 30k per year or 30k total?
If you want extra education beyond school, you have to pay for it, like everything else you want that isn't a necessity. Are you pissed that you'd also need to pay a shitload of money if you want to own a car or house, too? This is life. You have to pay for shit.
It's funny how people only want a military when they need it Thinking
(December 7, 2013 at 7:39 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: If you want extra education beyond school, you have to pay for it, like everything else you want that isn't a necessity. Are you pissed that you'd also need to pay a shitload of money if you want to own a car or house, too? This is life. You have to pay for shit.

America's system is out of control, though. And not worth the money. Plus, they push college like it IS a necessity in this country - probably because our working class jobs are in the shitter.
(December 7, 2013 at 7:20 am)Sejanus Wrote: Why would you join the military? Why would you die for some politician who says you should to support their agenda? I couldn't think of a worse job. Personally, I think all military organisations should be abolished. After all, who needs a military force if no-one else has one? Also, all weapons of war should be destroyed.
The same reason why any other person becomes a lawyer, or a doctor, or a veterinarian. The answer should be rhetorical. Why do you want to be what you want to be? Say for example you want to be a basketball player. That's stupid that you would want to be paid millions of dollars to go up and down a hardwood floor getting all sweaty. I think paying a person millions of dollars for that is ridiculous and that money should be used to build better schools or more hospitals. All sports should be destroyed.
(December 7, 2013 at 7:31 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Do you mean 30k per year or 30k total?
30k/yr
(December 7, 2013 at 7:50 am)Optimistic Mysanthrope Wrote: It's funny how people only want a military when they need it Thinking
Your statement is rather vague. Could you be more in-depth? It sounds like you're saying the only reason I want a military is to be employed. If so, your argument is ignorant you sound ridiculous.
(December 7, 2013 at 8:02 am)Psykhronic Wrote:
(December 7, 2013 at 7:39 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: If you want extra education beyond school, you have to pay for it, like everything else you want that isn't a necessity. Are you pissed that you'd also need to pay a shitload of money if you want to own a car or house, too? This is life. You have to pay for shit.
America's system is out of control, though. And not worth the money. Plus, they push college like it IS a necessity in this country - probably because our working class jobs are in the shitter.

@Nora
Not once did I say I was pissed because I had to pay a shitload for college. My whole post is about paying it back in a shit economy where myself and others are suffering and going broke for wanting to acquire an education. An education that usually doesn't pay for itself.

@Psykhronic

I'm sure if the nation's leaders wanted to turn everything around, they easily could. You see how fast they put man on the moon when they saw Russia as a "threat"?
Same sex divorce should be outlawed. #StopTheGays
Rigor - This student debt crisis (which the news recently reported as costing the American economy 1 trillion dollars and many figures do not include the money PARENTS take out to help students) is probably something that cannot be fixed all at once. HOWEVER, they could at least lower the interest on loans to that of the banks, though (less than 1 percent interest), and they could do that in a heartbeat. And that would be somewhat of a start to fixing the system, the other problem though is we have a huge influx of college students, few jobs people can live on without college, and now few jobs available to those who HAVE gone to college. We need to bring some industry back home and promote vocational schools as well so that college is not the sole provider of higher education and/or well-paying jobs. If they would get on this shit right away though, the next generation definitely would have it way the fuck easier.
Well rigor, i think the best course of action is to work your ass off for awesome grades to get some scholarships, or increase your chances of getting scholarships, it will be worth the effort. I understand that some people are simply not able to despite working really hard cos of other circumstances, but if you can you want to spend a lot of effort trying to get scholarships. I cannot imagine how I would live without scholarships and while I'm dirt poor, my tuition is much less than yours cos I'm in Canada, I have 7k+++ per year, it has been increasing every single year though. That and get a part time job, the fact that you're making money will make you feel so so good because it feels like you're working towards a solution. When I was in between jobs I felt like shit because I was so worried about finances and I wouldn't spend on anything.

It's a crappy system, :/. If you look online there are a few blogs on how people got out of huge debts and how to do it. I follow most of the tips they give, it does save a lot of money.
(December 7, 2013 at 8:18 am)Rigor Mortis Wrote: The same reason why any other person becomes a lawyer, or a doctor, or a veterinarian. The answer should be rhetorical. Why do you want to be what you want to be? Say for example you want to be a basketball player. That's stupid that you would want to be paid millions of dollars to go up and down a hardwood floor getting all sweaty. I think paying a person millions of dollars for that is ridiculous and that money should be used to build better schools or more hospitals. All sports should be destroyed.

What about the billions America pours into its military budget? supposedly its more than all other nations combined. Perhaps there might be more money for education if America cut its military out of the equation. But that's not going to happen in a country where 80% of the population believe in a magical jewish zombie who walks on water and turns wine into water, now is it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ostrich the Flightless Bird - African Wildlife Documentary Film with Narration WinterHold 24 1297 October 14, 2020 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A President Show Documentary: The Fall of Donald Trump Fake Messiah 0 324 October 18, 2018 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  National Lampoon documentary Fake Messiah 13 1910 September 30, 2015 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  HELP Needed for Documentary project. lloydy91 19 3232 March 8, 2014 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Great Austrialian youtube documentary channel Something completely different 0 913 July 22, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  The best documentary films Something completely different 14 4886 October 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Honor student sent to jail Kayenneh 11 2995 May 31, 2012 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Violet
  Debate: Keynesian vs Austrian Economics and the Financial crisis theVOID 2 2394 December 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Scientology Documentary Laurens 4 1587 March 17, 2010 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Frank
  New documentary channel on Youtube. leo-rcc 1 2631 August 26, 2009 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: fr0d0