Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World without religion.
World without religion.
It has come up that the world is in dire straits because of religion. My question is- What do you, as an atheist, see a world without religion like?

I'm not asking if it is possible, but just what would be the end result if it did happen?
". . . let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist." -G. K. Chesterton
RE: World without religion.
Well, less woo is always a good thing: it's always better to be working toward things that'll actually line up with reality, rather than building monuments to imaginary friends...

Let's see... no more faith healing scams, no more false prophets asking for money, no more prayer in place of medical care, no more tax subsidized charlatans in robes, nor unearned senses of accomplishment from men in funny hats. No more witch burnings or exorcisms or justification for homophobia that's socially acceptable...

Yeah, I'd say a world without religion would look a little better, at least.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
It would also be easier to identify mental patients that use religious deities to justify atrocities. I said this many times, alot of the religious are moderate good people, but they are the fertile soil where the crazies grow and prosper.
(December 12, 2013 at 6:34 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: It has come up that the world is in dire straits because of religion. My question is- What do you, as an atheist, see a world without religion like?

I'm not asking if it is possible, but just what would be the end result if it did happen?

Won't happen. I can see a more secular world, but there will never be a species completely void of delusion and superstition.
(December 12, 2013 at 8:20 am)Esquilax Wrote: Well, less woo is always a good thing: it's always better to be working toward things that'll actually line up with reality, rather than building monuments to imaginary friends...

Let's see... no more faith healing scams, no more false prophets asking for money, no more prayer in place of medical care, no more tax subsidized charlatans in robes, nor unearned senses of accomplishment from men in funny hats. No more witch burnings or exorcisms or justification for homophobia that's socially acceptable...

Yeah, I'd say a world without religion would look a little better, at least.

Not to forget, no more ass-hat pastors.
(December 12, 2013 at 8:42 am)Walking Void Wrote: Not to forget, no more ass-hat pastors.

Covered under "charlatans in robes," I believe. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No more suicide bombers!
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
Star Trek!

We'll be doing so much better in the science and technology department if religion doesn't exist. Really I consider that one of the biggest losses of humanity.
More self confidence and higher self esteem.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(December 12, 2013 at 6:34 am)GodsRevolt Wrote: It has come up that the world is in dire straits because of religion. My question is- What do you, as an atheist, see a world without religion like?

Ok so someone discovers there's definitely no god or any sort of supernatural powers and proves this to everyone without a shadow of doubt.

I think a lot of highly religious people who were using religion as a crutch would be pissed off, probably turn to drugs or something to compensate for the life time they wasted praying or thinking about god.

People who were having religious wars some would stop but then I think most would carry on in the the same way due to the fact I think some people would just say fuck the religion I still want a fight.

The economy would improve due to no funds going towards pointless glorious but useless buildings, priests, Imams and rabbis would have to get proper jobs and be a real use to the community.
Productivity would go up massively due to no time wasted praying.

Morale would probably be quite low in people facing death, children with terminal illnesses and people like that who at least had the promise of heaven before.

I think people would integrate better, in particular thinking of Muslims.

That's all I can be bothered to come up with right now.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 409 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 22397 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Does the World Need Religion? phoenix31 85 10194 February 7, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45172 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 5737 July 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Christians claiming there is no morality without god. because 15 3355 March 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Ultimate purpose without religion... "If I Die on Mars" Mudhammam 0 972 February 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A world without Christianity Grasshopper 27 8599 January 15, 2015 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Esquilax