Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:50 pm

Poll: Pledge of Alligiance a good topic?
This poll is closed.
Yes
45.45%
5 45.45%
No
54.55%
6 54.55%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highschool Persuasion Speech
Smile 
Highschool Persuasion Speech
Hello peoples! In my 6th Period class, honors english III, we were assigned a speech to write on a social injustice. I thought to myself, "I bet my fucking awesome friends on the AF could generate something very nice for me to speek about!." So here I am asking what AF thinks.

I have so far thought of doing a speech on the Pledge of Alligiance controversy dealing with the words, "under God." I am against it saying this of course. I've seen other sites saying that an atheist would reword it saying "without God" and I luled. I'd just simply take it out all together.
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Highschool Persuasion Speech
I think there are much better topics to be honest Smile

Homosexuals, transgenders, and the like would be much more interesting topics to discuss... especially considering the social injustices commonly done to them in our society.

I don't even stand for the pledge... Tongue It is amazing how few american students (at least in my school) stand for the pledge when they realize they don't have to Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:I've seen other sites saying that an atheist would reword it saying "without God" and I luled. I'd just simply take it out all together.

You mean the way it was until 1954?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/nat_pled1.htm
(November 14, 2009 at 1:24 am)Minimalist Wrote: You mean the way it was until 1954?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/nat_pled1.htm

Well yeah, I like that version more. It's kinda off beat from what the rythm usually is, but more universal to all religions, because it favors no one over the other.

"under God" may offend say muslims, atheists, others...

Open to other topics too, what about homosexuals or other things is a prevailing topic today?

May do something about Same sex marriage.... ?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
When I was in high school (about a million years ago) I just didn't say it (the 'under god' part). Take it out leave it in, it doesn't matter. The religious nut jobs will always find another way to interject there god on us. After all being christian is the only way to beSmile
binnyCoffee
Very good topic. ;D
I normally skip saying the "Under God" shit, but I accidentally said it the other day. I feel like I tainted my Atheism. D:>
Screw "history" and its crap; don't be so sentimental about our stupid "pledge". What the fuck is so great about America anyways? That we managed to be become one of the fattest countries in the world? That we managed to fuck up our economy? That we managed to endorse religion onto people? That we managed to become bumbling idiots?

... Sorry if that's offensive, but I don't think too highly about the USA. ._.

ANYWAYS!! Good topic to talk about. Make sure to include something about separation of church and state in there somewhere. ;D
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
We could be a lot worse... but that doesn't make us good Smile

I pledge my allegiance only to those who deserve it... America is not one of those.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
*attempts to high-fives Sae, but then misses, and then falls over*
SHIT!!

Anyways, yes, America is not one of those things to deserve it. It hardly even deserves to be called "horrible"; that's an understatement.
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
Do you feel that the pledge of allegiance in part forcing a limited religious point of view onto you is a social injustice? Yes it's a limit on freedom. I think there are greater causes, not that I wish to demean this one.

How aboutth US forcing other countries to be its slaves and dictating to them insidiously whilst the country thinks of itself as moral.
I say do it. It is a social injustice.

Yes, there may be other more socially unjust topics to do, but this is what you felt would be a good one and I say go with it.

Nicely controversal without going over the top.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Formal and Informal speech lizbizdiz 19 1553 July 3, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7880 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Free speech issue, again.... Foundy 32 3228 December 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Free speech issue... ƵenKlassen 34 4473 December 4, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Westborough Baptist Church - free speech. paulpablo 25 6842 July 1, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Real JFK NWO Speech... And the Definition of "Theory" ScienceAf 8 2264 August 17, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Lovely speech Excited Penguin 3 757 March 14, 2016 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Women and speech BrokenQuill92 6 1584 January 30, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Shaggy
  commemorative speech The_Flying_Skeptic 0 982 November 22, 2011 at 3:34 am
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic
  Censorship, rape culture and free-speech Autumnlicious 29 11152 March 20, 2011 at 6:10 am
Last Post: Violet