Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you like to debate?
Do you like to debate?
And why do you debate and who?
Long ago every time I was in debate my goal was to convince the opponent that they are wrong. And every time it didn't work it made me rage.
Then I stopped debating completely.
Then I started watching debates of sam harris and atheist experience(cause they were better at it then I am).
Then after a while I started debating but just for the fun of debunking the opponents arguments no matter if he will see it or not. I stopped getting angry and started actually having fun in a debate when I stopped caring about the outcome.
Why and who do you debate and how do you feel about it?
Also what you usually debate about?
I debate not just about religion but about anything related to what I do(strategies in games and so on).
RE: Do you like to debate?
No ... I don't like to debate because I don't like mental masturbation.

JK. I mostly debate on topics which I feel that I have strong/persuasive arguments on my side and when I have researched a lot on that subject. And the subject is something that piques my interest.

Debating in forums has also taught me more stuff, but like you said, it's also pretty fun to debate. I don't like to debate on very tedious matters, though, especially politics.
(December 14, 2013 at 5:26 am)Rayaan Wrote: JK. I mostly debate on topics which I feel that I have strong/persuasive arguments on my side and when I have researched a lot on that subject. And the subject is something that piques my interest.
Arguments in favor of Islam?
(December 14, 2013 at 4:55 am)feeling Wrote: And why do you debate and who?
Long ago every time I was in debate my goal was to convince the opponent that they are wrong. And every time it didn't work it made me rage.
Then I stopped debating completely.
Then I started watching debates of sam harris and atheist experience(cause they were better at it then I am).
Then after a while I started debating but just for the fun of debunking the opponents arguments no matter if he will see it or not. I stopped getting angry and started actually having fun in a debate when I stopped caring about the outcome.
Why and who do you debate and how do you feel about it?
Also what you usually debate about?
I debate not just about religion but about anything related to what I do(strategies in games and so on).

I love debating Muslims, no idea why maybe because I live around a lot of Muslims and not many true christians, and I feel comfortable debating christians face to face but not Muslims as they seem more angry.

I hate it when people (especially on this fucking forum) waste time space and energy typing things like
Quote:Muhammad was a pedophile and u muslims r terroristz lol
I like to think my arguments are much more logical than this and usually revolve around debunking the miracles of the quran and the reasoning behind the quran being from god.

I've had several arguments that just end in muslims just ignoring me and refusing to acknowledge what I'm saying.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I suppose I used to enjoy debating (although calling it debating is probably a bit much, it was really just arguing) about religious stuff. I always tried not to get bogged down in the details in the bible and other religious books. I don't feel like arguing about scripture because 1. I do not know enough about it to argue convincingly and 2. it's pretty irrelevant when you can't even establish that it is the word of god in the first place. I guess with point 2, people might want to argue about that. I see that as a more worthy argument than straight away arguing about what a particular book says.

Nowadays though, I just don't have much interest in arguing about religion. I may pop in here and there trying to correct people on certain points they make but I'm not really interested in arguing about it. This is mainly due to the fact I have not once convinced anyone I've been speaking to of their idiocy on this topic. That's probably because I'm a shit debater, or it's because they have their dogma so far drilled into their brains all attempts at making them see reason are futile.

Hell belief in a god is not a reasonable thing. I think the people who admit this are the most honest about their position and I respect them on that. But then, if they do admit that, there's no real point in arguing with them...

Otherwise I guess it depends on the topic. I've also started to argue a lot more in real life away from the forums. Things like challenging my mom when she goes on about Jesus or that England is a Xtian nation or that we should support the monarchy because it brings tourism to the country etc. Just general statements that people make that I don't agree with, generally I challenge them on it a lot more now. I try to tell my mom why she's wrong but she ends up just getting the hump with me. I've found it's a lot better to try and be thoughtful when presenting your arguments than rude. I used to be very rude, hell I probably still am, and it's not the best way to get someone to be receptive to what you're saying. Especially not in real life.

My 2 pennies.
Not so much "debating" I like having disagreements with people and talking about it. It's more meaningful than two person agreeing to each other and you learn something in the process.

Although in this age of the internet, you rarely convince anyone of your position unless they're coming from a point of ignorance. Because if they're holding a ridiculous position but have done their research, you're unlikely to convince them because you won't be bringing any new information to the table. For example YECs, if they've done their research, they have to believe that astronomers, geologists, evolutionary biologists conspired perfectly throughout history just to lie to them. And if they do, there is almost nothing you can possibly do to dent their beliefs. However, a lot of people come from positions of partial ignorance and you are able to bring new information to the table, then there's space for them to change their minds. With religion it's different because it's personal for people but those who do not know much about their religion will very quickly stop debating and "get back to you later".
There is too much rethoric for me to care about debate, I entertain some ideas, but unless someone tries to metaphorically fuck me in the ass, I just keep a stern, but playfull conversation. Big Grin
(December 14, 2013 at 11:25 am)LastPoet Wrote: There is too much rethoric for me to care about debate, I entertain some ideas, but unless someone tries to metaphorically fuck me in the ass, I just keep a stern, but playfull conversation. Big Grin

What about when they literally try to fuck you in the ass? Thinking
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
I'm not much into debating. Hence, you look at my post history and see me posting drivel on subjects like Peeps or...well, whatever...it's too early. But the point is, debates often tend to get me angry when I am in them. However, when I am perusing a thread that has a debate in it, I'll enjoy quietly reading it and hopefully learning something more about my point of view, which is atheism.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(December 14, 2013 at 11:28 am)Tartarus Sauce Wrote: What about when they literally try to fuck you in the ass? Thinking

Not without a proper string of dates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate solely through the medium of memes Jacob(smooth) 6601 771942 April 13, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Things "you" post that "you" like Foxaèr 11 1977 March 24, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Halloween candy you pass out, and candy you like to recieve vorlon13 26 4085 October 9, 2017 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The Great Nerd Debate: Sith or Jedi The Valkyrie 27 8190 September 13, 2017 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Great Debate The Valkyrie 26 7769 June 13, 2017 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Too lazy to debate J a c k 30 5053 September 8, 2016 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My turn -- Post Here And I'll Tell You What I like About You Edwardo Piet 43 5858 August 16, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Open debate dyresand 11 2035 March 28, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Debate and lack of activity Metis 7 2317 July 29, 2015 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Exian
  On internet debate. trmof 17 3499 October 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Cyberman