Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Me and the Military
Me and the Military
I am leaning towards joining the military when I leave highschool at sometime. I was reading about the military and the process of joining until I came across the oath of enlistment:
Quote:"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

My problem is, I really do not want to say "so help me God". I feel that it is a disgrace to me as an atheist. I don't believe in God, nor any of the other ones, and I don't need help from any of them. And also, "that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same." The same what? What am I bearing that terrible word to? Faith... I don't like the sound of it.

Thinking that I will have to say this gives me that wierd feeling inside, a feeling of insecurity or something. ;\\ Sadness.

What shall/can I do?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
RE: Me and the Military
The "that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same" part points back to the constitution of the United States.

I don't believe that the "So help me God" part is mandatory. You could check this with the ACLU first.

When our politicians are sworn in to take office they have to pledge a loyalty to our current monarch (in this case the Queen) and they have 2 options:

"Dat beloof ik." meaning "I Promise" or
"Zo ware helpe mij God almachtig" meaning "So help me God almighty".

This is done because there are political parties that do not have a religious background and therefore a higher percentage of Atheist and Secular Humanists.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
When you are in the group doing the "repeat after me" thing, just don't say it. When at that part say "so help me."

It will go unnoticed. Most likely if it does get noticed it will be ignored.

(spoken from experiance)
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
I worked out that to become a member of Parliament in the UK, I'd have to leave out most of the pledge. I can't swear to a God I don't believe in, nor can I swear to uphold a monarchy I believe is an enemy of democracy. The best I can do is to swear to protect the citizens of my country, but that's all they'll get from me.
That's nice, I've just read about it on some other sites too.

Do presidents have to do it? Is it manditory for them?
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
Why do you want to join the military, littlegrimlim1? Which section of the military are you interested in pursuing?
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Skip it. If they ask why you did, say, "Sir, I am not a Christian, Muslim, nor Jew. I do not believe in any God. This would go against my beliefs, and I do not wish to say something that endorses religion... ... Sir!"
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
I have strong feelings against the military and anyone trying to enlist. As a former U.S. marine I was appalled at the things I have seen. G.I. stands for government issue and when you join the military that is exactly what you are. You are uncle Sams property just like a pair of military combat boots and nothing more. This government sends its troops to fight wars in other countries always with an ulterior motive in mind. Either they want to change a countries political system, steal their natural resources, Or impose democracy on a country that does not want it.

Not to mention the mistreatment our combat vets go through when they come home from the battle fields with neurological disorders due to exposure to chemical weapons not always used by our enemies but by us as well. You are lied to as to the reasons you are fighting a war risking life and limb for some governments bullshit ideologies. When you come back mentally and physically destroyed they give you hell to collect benefits etc. The only time your service is appreciated is when you die in combat. You get a free funeral and medals but what good are medals if you're dead?
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Well said chatpilot.Clap

I once gave the military a good thinking over, even recently. I then thought to myself..."why?"
I wondered why should I put my life on the line for something so pathetic? I'm completely against war and there I was thinking about joining it. So I quickly made up my mind and walked the other way.
Though there is a war on, I'm not part of it. It's not my war. It's the country's.

"Wouldn't it be nice if kings faught their own wars?".
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I was conscripted.

There was absolutely no ambiguity;You do exactly what you're told, say what they want,sign what they want or they put you in prison for 2 years. So I did that. As far as I was concerned it was all done under duress,so not binding.

I also listed my religion as "RC".The army doesn't like individuals and treats them harshly. I kept my head down and stayed invisible. Always did what I was told,to the letter, but no more. I played " I'm just a stupid grunt" which is perfectly acceptable.

To paraphrase :"The army is a different country,they do things differently there". To survive, you MUST comply,from day one.To thrive you MUST behave as if you accept the bullshit. It's a game,but a serious one in which you can become 100% deaded..

Joining the armed forces when one's country is at war but not under threat is an act of the desperate, the stupid or the psychotic. Although I do not"support" our troops,I pity the poor dumb bastards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Military people, fall in! Gawdzilla Sama 36 4461 October 23, 2018 at 7:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  -For those who've served in the military The Grand Nudger 15 3455 July 7, 2014 at 3:54 am
Last Post: critmass235
  Coming home from the military Annik 24 4441 November 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Military service chatpilot 14 3553 March 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: chatpilot