Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Eve Astrophotography.
Christmas Eve Astrophotography.
So my wife was working till midnight. I got off work and had nothing to do. I went out with my equipment and spent some time snagging shots. I think next time I'll hit a higher ISO (800) but this time around went with 400ISO. 90 second photos, 21 total. Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker. I'm very happy with the results considering the low amount of exposure time.

Orion Nebula (M42)

This was my last picture from a little while ago (Also my avatar) of Andromeda.

RE: Christmas Eve Astrophotography.
Those are beautiful!
And you that with a 400 film speed? Jesus fuck. You did good. Depending on the camera youvise however Id recommend 1600 or maybe 3200 if it looks good.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(December 25, 2013 at 10:54 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: And you that with a 400 film speed? Jesus fuck. You did good. Depending on the camera youvise however Id recommend 1600 or maybe 3200 if it looks good.

The camera used was a Canon T1i with Baader modification. Next time I'll go with 800ISO and bump it up one and just go with longer exposure times. It'll do 1600/3200 but Orion is a pretty bright object so I'll probably see how it goes one session at a time. All in all I'm pretty happy with this.

I don't have a guidescope or anything. Just the telescope, a field flattener and the camera with my tracking mount.
(December 25, 2013 at 11:01 am)Logisch Wrote:
(December 25, 2013 at 10:54 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: And you that with a 400 film speed? Jesus fuck. You did good. Depending on the camera youvise however Id recommend 1600 or maybe 3200 if it looks good.

The camera used was a Canon T1i with Baader modification. Next time I'll go with 800ISO and bump it up one and just go with longer exposure times. It'll do 1600/3200 but Orion is a pretty bright object so I'll probably see how it goes one session at a time. All in all I'm pretty happy with this.

I don't have a guidescope or anything. Just the telescope, a field flattener and the camera with my tracking mount.
Him I own the same camera and I have done all sorts with it ( though your astrophotography is much better the mine) the lucky bit with that camera is that the increasing the film speed doesn't affect the graininess much. Can you get canis major is on a canon rebel?
Signifying nothing.
(December 25, 2013 at 11:29 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(December 25, 2013 at 11:01 am)Logisch Wrote: The camera used was a Canon T1i with Baader modification. Next time I'll go with 800ISO and bump it up one and just go with longer exposure times. It'll do 1600/3200 but Orion is a pretty bright object so I'll probably see how it goes one session at a time. All in all I'm pretty happy with this.

Him I own the same camera and I have done all sorts with it ( though your astrophotography is much better the mine) the lucky bit with that camera is that the increasing the film speed doesn't affect the graininess much. Can you get canis major is on a canon rebel?

Canis Major is a pretty bright object. If that's a request then I'll happily shoot it next time I'm out if you would like. Even through the LCD real time view I'm able to see the stars at the core of orion, albeit faintly, which is nice since I use those as a focus point and focus the telescope based off of those at a 10x zoom.
(December 25, 2013 at 11:36 am)Logisch Wrote:
(December 25, 2013 at 11:29 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Him I own the same camera and I have done all sorts with it ( though your astrophotography is much better the mine) the lucky bit with that camera is that the increasing the film speed doesn't affect the graininess much. Can you get canis major is on a canon rebel?

Canis Major is a pretty bright object. If that's a request then I'll happily shoot it next time I'm out if you would like. Even through the LCD real time view I'm able to see the stars at the core of orion, albeit faintly, which is nice since I use those as a focus point and focus the telescope based off of those at a 10x zoom.

If its a fairly easy one I may make that a personal mission. I was writing a story about it a d the experience of shooting g it would help there
Signifying nothing.
I hope I'm not here in the endtimes when those stars are going to start falling to earth. It's going to have to be a heck-a-va cave to be able to save ourselves from that.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(December 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm)Brakeman Wrote: I hope I'm not here in the endtimes when those stars are going to start falling to earth. It's going to have to be a heck-a-va cave to be able to save ourselves from that.

A cave to protect yourself from a that's a 1000x bigger then the earth when it is on a collision course? Did you hit your head and convert to Christianity?
Signifying nothing.
(December 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(December 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm)Brakeman Wrote: I hope I'm not here in the endtimes when those stars are going to start falling to earth. It's going to have to be a heck-a-va cave to be able to save ourselves from that.

A cave to protect yourself from a that's a 1000x bigger then the earth when it is on a collision course? Did you hit your head and convert to Christianity?
Are you trying to tell me that those tiny little specks can hurt me when they fall? That's so silly, how could they get through the dome holding up the upper waters? Oh unless you're referring to the windows that god opens to make it rain. Do you thing one of those bigger basketball sized stars might squeeze through those droplet sized holes? Impossible! Unless goddidit..

Confusedhock:
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Killing Eve Apollo 7 828 November 1, 2022 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Official Christmas Music Thread Foxaèr 46 2428 January 4, 2021 at 6:09 am
Last Post: rado84
  Doctor Who Christmas special 2017 pocaracas 20 3172 November 21, 2017 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Bill Maher - Trump Christmas Carol Minimalist 1 396 November 18, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  New Christmas song by my cousin! robvalue 1 1217 December 2, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Photo Eve's Creation Kabum42 10 1248 February 1, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  If this doesn't get you in the Christmas spirit... BrianSoddingBoru4 3 1454 December 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  The Real Story of Christmas Minimalist 9 3723 November 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Favorite Christmas Video lilyannerose 0 1118 December 22, 2010 at 9:06 am
Last Post: lilyannerose
  2 (late, damn, but who cares?) Christmas sketches by Mitchell And Webb Edwardo Piet 5 2513 December 31, 2008 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Dotard