Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 12:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What am I?
What am I?
Just figured I would introduce myself, since that seems like the polite thing to do here. I listed my religious beliefs as "Pagan" mostly because I couldn't think of exactly what to call myself. I am not a Theist, but I am not so sure I am willing to reject the concept of "God" entirely- though I think it needs some serious redefinition. The question "What is God?" is one that I like to play around with. I come from a Pentecostal background, for the record, and I am a big fan of the teachings of Jesus- where we can determine just what it was he said exactly. To this end, I have done alot of studies in Biblical historical criticism, particularly the works of John Dominic Crossan. I am also interested in all of the mystical and "supernatural" stuff that goes on beyond our scientific explanation, but I try to keep a strictly critical view of these things and when a scientific explanation presents itself, I am very willing to accept it. So in general I have a working hypothesis that there is lots of groovy stuff going on out there that we have no scientific explanation for, but that's probably just because science hasn't caught up with it yet. Well, that's it for now I guessSmile
RE: What am I?
Agnostic, I'd presume. Or Agnostic Atheist.

Welcome. :3 By pagan, do you mean witchcraft or am I mixing things up??
╔═╪══╬═╦╦═╬══╪═╗
║♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ McGodless! ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ║
Bah-bah-bah-bah-bahhh~!
║♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ I'm lovin' it! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪║
╚═╪══╬═╩╩═╬══╪═╝

"And God said, drunk, 'Let there be Tails Turrosaki,' and there was Tails."
Pagan just means non-christian (its original meaning) Tongue

Welcome though Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome here. I think you would be Agnostic.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

Wanderer42 Wrote:I am not a Theist, but I am not so sure I am willing to reject the concept of "God" entirely- though I think it needs some serious redefinition.
Agnostic atheist?

Its good that you keep an open mind to science. Welcome and enjoy your stay in AF!
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
Pagan to me means respectful of the base spiritual manifestations of your heredity. I've also heard that defined as Animism. Both are honest pursuits of truth in my book. I'd be interested to hear more on your idea of that.

Welcome Smile
Welcome along fellow atheist. And if you are not a theist then that's what you will be labeled. It's one of those black and white things, you either believe in a God or Gods and are therefore a theist, or if you're not a theist then you are an atheist.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
LOL @ base spritual manifestation.

Frodo is funnier than me and he doesn't even try.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Why thankyou God Big Grin

That was a bit shite wasn't it LOL
(November 18, 2009 at 4:34 pm)Wanderer42 Wrote: Just figured I would introduce myself, since that seems like the polite thing to do here. I listed my religious beliefs as "Pagan" mostly because I couldn't think of exactly what to call myself. I am not a Theist,
Quote: but I am not so sure I am willing to reject the concept of "God" entirely
- though I think it needs some serious redefinition. The question "What is God?" is one that I like to play around with. I come from a Pentecostal background, for the record, and I am a big fan of the teachings of Jesus- where we can determine just what it was he said exactly. To this end, I have done alot of studies in Biblical historical criticism, particularly the works of John Dominic Crossan. I am also interested in all of the mystical and "supernatural" stuff that goes on beyond our scientific explanation, but I try to keep a strictly critical view of these things and when a scientific explanation presents itself, I am very willing to accept it. So in general I have a working hypothesis that there is lots of groovy stuff going on out there that we have no scientific explanation for, but that's probably just because science hasn't caught up with it yet. Well, that's it for now I guessSmile
Hello Wanderer. I would think that you probably fall under the, "I haven't made up my mind yet" category.

From one newbie to another, welcome.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.