Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I find this all cheaper
Where can I find this all cheaper
This is a price list of things I need for my apartment on amazon

Kitchen Supplies

Knives $120.00

Paring knives set $20.00

14 piece non-stick pots and pans $300.00

Taiyaki maker $45.00

Indoor grill $50.00

Blender $100.00

Ceramic pie pan $10.00

Hello Kitty cake pan $12.00

Teacake pan $50.00

Tart pan $15.00

Rose bundt pan $30.00

Baking sheet 2x $50.00

Cast iron Pizza pan $20.00

Pizza cutter rocker $30.00

Spice rack $30.00

Crockpot $25.00

Microwave $75.00

one cup coffee maker $150.00

Toaster $30.00

Table clock $20.00

Paper towel holder $20.00

Two tier dish rack $30.00

Mortar and pestle $50.00

Iron tea kettle $50.00

Gracie tea set $70.00

Gracie cup set $40.00

Tea cake stand $25.00

Wok set $140.00

Sake set $25.00

Cleaning whisk $8.00

Sushi plates $30.00

Bento box $20.00

Glass teapot with warmer $40.00

Unscented tea light candles $6.00

Break-proof wineglasses 30.00

Shot glasses $20.00

Flute glass set $30.00

Martini glass set $20.00

Martini picks $12.00

Cocktail shaker $10.00

Apron $20.00

Trash can $50.00

Wooden stepladder $70.00

Spare apron $15.00

Tatami mat $12.00

Stock pot x3 $60.00

Colander $20.00

Grater $15.00

Swivel peeler $10.00

Chopsticks $6.00

Sushi made easy $25.00

Triangle rice ball mold $5.00

Nigiri mold $10.00

Rice maker $45.00

Peppermill and salt grinder $30.00

Two-tiered fruit bowl $30.00

Cookie jar $20.00
RE: Where can I find this all cheaper
A lot of those things, you can get a lot cheaper at a thrift store. Sure, they'll be second hand and maybe a little worn out, but it can still save you a lot of money.

Some appliances you can get from pawn shops with similar issues. Things like microwaves, televisions, dvd players and things like that can be a real deal there as long as you aren't too picky about quality.

Another idea is to look at sites like freecycle or craigslist. Both of those have people selling a lot of stuff like that and you can usually find a good deal here or there.

And, if push comes to shove, a lot of people would be surprised how much we have that we can really do without. I mean, when I first moved into this apartment, I had nothing. A broiler pan was left here and it was in good condition, but other than that, I had no kitchen appliances at all. No plates, no silverware, no microwave and I still managed to get by alright.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Thanks for the advice this would be my first time living on my own

I feel so grown up

And now I said something not so grown-up

I am a total dork

I'm going to shut up
eBay is a good place to get cheap deals for a lot of things.
As an old geezer, I'll give you my $0.02 and then I've got to get back to yelling at the kids to get off my lawn.

I would suggest you triage your need/wish list into:

1. must have
2. nice to have
3. luxury

Sushi forms? Martini picks? Really?

And have a budget and stick to it. Otherwise the great pain of debt looms. Buy the #1 items first and if money left over, the nice to haves and so on.

It's all about priorities. Food, rent and utilities being at the top.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on getting few things, things with considerable versatility, and concentrate on investing the money to get good quality in those few things.

For example, if rice is a staple of your diet, a high quality Korean or Japanese rice cooker, a talking one, might be well worth the investment. The little touches that come with a quality item make it much more pleasant to live with. Having a smaller lifestyle, concentrated on good things, is, to my view, more rewarding than having the use of a ton of mediocre crap.

I would go through your list and cut out half the things on it. You'd be surprised how little you would end up using many of those items, and how little you'd miss not having them.

But then, I'm a Taoist, so I lean that way by nature.

My first thought was Walmart, or Target for a little higher quality. But a lot depends on the specific items, as you'll really need to shop many of those items individually.

Perhaps an example might help. I bought a 5-liter hot water pot that keeps water at one of three temperatures. It's like a knock off of a Zojirushi, which is the number one maker of such hot water pots. Mine was about $80, is good quality, has the main features that a Zojirushi would have, but not the fine points that comes with a top quality product. A Zojirushi would have cost me double that. However, as much as I use it, as I'm a tea, beef and chicken broth, hot cocoa, etc. addict, when I am able, I will likely invest in the cost of a Zojirushi. The little extra design touches will matter enough to me because it is such an essential part of my life that everything about it will affect me. I also could have bought a cheaper clone, that would have had problems with scaling, breaking down within 1-2 years, or having its performance degrade, and having to put up with that in something that is so much a part of my life would have made me feel miserable. And I could have bought a cheap, $20-30 electric water kettle, but it wouldn't have been near as versatile and functional as the pots that keep water hot at select temperatures. I can have instant drinks in seconds, any time of the day. So, I did good by researching until I found one that was both good quality and inexpensive. If I'd bought lower quality, I would have likely ended unhappy, and probably given up using it. I didn't expect it to be as important an addition to my life as it has, though, and if I'd known, I would have spent the extra money for the Zojirushi. I was halfway to buying a Zojirushi when I read the reviews of this one, and it sounded like it was a knockoff that was of sufficient quality that it wouldn't have the problems that plague most of the knockoffs I looked at. And it hasn't. Still, I look forward to owning a Zojirushi sometime soon.

I would pare your list down to bare essentials. Where quality isn't that important, buy bargain items (much of the kitchen stuff, like knife sets, can be functional without spending a lot of money, unless of course cooking is a big part of your life, and then it would pay to invest in a small set of high quality knives; ceramic if you can afford it). And concentrate on items that have multiple uses; largish brandy snifters can be used for wine, sake, and hard liquor equally. They're similar in shape to a wine glass, and the globe shape prevents sake and hard liquor from oxidating too quickly as you drink it. Once you have a better idea of the things you realize you took off the list but really would use, after living with things a while, you can go back and fill in the gaps. I think you'll find a lot fewer gaps than you anticipated with your current list.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Alternative list:

1. Plate, bowl, mug, fork, spoon, water glass, sauce pan, frying pan - 1 each.

2. Futon (no frame), sheets, blankie, pillow, pillow case.

3. Washcloth, towel, bath soap.

4. Laundry soap.

5. Condoms.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Subtly let people know you want these things in time for christmas.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
LOL that's one hell of a shopping list. And Stue, I don't she wants to wait until Christmas...
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Why is this in the Mathematics section? Just wondering
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find the solution - Only for those who know what everybody else doesn't T0 Th3 M4X 4 1074 December 4, 2018 at 5:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Find Solution ! reality.Mathematician 12 3627 August 13, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist